Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2005, 06:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The bacteria in FW will not survive the salt increase. The bacteria's cell walls will burst and you will gain nothing. (learned all that on the forum) Two completely different bacteria. You will be better off starting the cycle from scratch.
My
Quote:
sink water has chlorine and a disturbingly low KH
SW and chlorine do not mix. Get a RO/DI or look for a different water source. You can bring the KH up.

Old 11-17-2005, 07:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Old 11-17-2005, 07:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nojo for starters fw and sw have different needs and can not be compared. I used my tap water in my fw tank and had some minor HA issues. But having any phosphates in your water is only asking for troubles in a SW tank. I would never use my TW in my reef tank. PO4 hinders growth in corals and can effect the tank with algae issues.

2nd bacteria is not suspended in the water collum in any great numbers that it would help with a cycle. Bacteria grows on the surface of sand, gravel, LR etc.

3rd FW bacteria will not live in salt water two different things.

Are you talking garden hose that is out side all the time? I would not use this because I would be worried that something may leach from the hose.

As far as not using ro/di water that is your choice. I'm sure you have read about the problems some people have with tap water. Once you establish a tank with tap water and you have issues it would take months to correct the bad effects of bad water. If you are starting out with PO4 in the water you are only asking for trouble.

And SW is not a cheap hobby and cutting corners now will only cost you more money in the long run and lost of headaches.

Again its your tank so good luck..

PS= you can get a good ro.di on ebay for under $100. When your putting lots of money in a tank what another 100.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaham358
When your putting lots of money in a tank what another 100.
Sigh...famous last words. I think I said that about $2000 ago...

Thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated.

Could someone explain to me or better yet point me to a link that explains the difficulties of using tapwater vs RO/DI? I thought it was more a matter of a hobbyist going overboard as opposed to actually being a legitimate necessity. I was planning on filling up my tank this weekend but may postpone if I'm convinced it's really not a good idea for a reef set up.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do a search on google to start.

Most Tap water contains heavy metals, phosphates, nitrates and you have town/city water with chlorine all will be removed by ro/di. Heavy metals and PO4 will cause issues with corals and anemones.

Overborad?? I thought that was the only way to go in this hobby...
If you got 2000 into an empty tank IMo your nuts if you don't spend another 100 for a ro/di unit. Your fish and corals will thank you... And you can drink the RO water, its great..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:15 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to binaryterror
With the garded hose water, what if I let the hose run for like 10 minutes? Try to get everything out of there. I also have hot water that get HOT, and I mean REALLY REALLY hot! Like, I cant even put my hands under it. Maybe that will like burn out whatever is living in there (if anything). Unless cold water is better for killing bacteria and whatnot.
40lbs. LR
40lbs. LS
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Heh, you can drink tap water too...

I'm seeing your point, don't take this the wrong way, but I thought heavy metals and chlorine were also removed by using a chemical neutralizer (such as Prime) and then afterwards your tank was ready to go, and that phosphates and nitrates can be removed by inserting media into your filter. If I can do this without a RO/DI unit then I'm having a hard time seeing the point. Am I completely wrong here or just slightly off the track?

Overboard is perhaps the wrong word. I do, quite strongly, believe in taking my time, buying equipment that is very good quality, and investing as much time and knowledge as is necessary for the long term health of my tank. This isn't going overboard as much as it is being true to yourself and your hobby. So far I just haven't been able to convince myself that a RO/DI unit is more than just being frivolous. I mean I can see that it's not a bad thing to have, but I'm also perhaps too wary because I've had a heck of a time isolating what I need as opposed to unnecessary expenses.

Thanks for your time explaining things out to me seaham.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Over time filters and additives in the tank may remove the bad stuff but never 100%. Then you have water changes to deal with so you will be constantly adding the bad stuff in the tank. RO/DI will enable you to start clean and stay clean.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ahhh.....

Man you guys are expensive to listen to. Thanks yet again.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:47 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to binaryterror
Well, my drinking water is RO but it is a small tank. It will take me days to be able to fill up my tank. I will have to fill up a little bucket and wait a like 5 hours. It will take probably take close to a week. Will that be OK to just let the water sit there?

40lbs. LR
40lbs. LS
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, freshwater, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com