Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2005, 02:22 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
And what on earth are diatoms?
Brown algae that can get out of control quickly due to excess nutrients. I never could get rid of mine when I used tap water a while back. Once I changed over to RO/DI, the problem slowly went away with water changes. We just want you to avoid using tap water if you are setting up a reef tank. Fish are more forgiving than corals, Anemones, and inverts.

Mike

Old 11-19-2005, 02:34 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I figured I would add a little bit of info here and there as well...pretty good info all the way around for everyone to chew on.

When using a water conditioner such as "Prime", for the most part they only detoxify chlorine and heavy metals, they do not eliminate them from the water column. "Detoxify" is also a broad term typically directed towards the health of fish and has no bearing on what the potential buildup of such metals may have in a reef aquarium (especially without noting what the metals might be).

My take on the rest is this:

Municipal - A water report should be available from your local water supply that will detail what exactly is in your water. This would provide better info than a TDS meter alone (although a beneficial gadget) because they do not tell you what is making up those dissolved solids. Some area have good tapwater, others do not as mentioned.

Well - Same deal, but more expensive. I would take a sample and have it tested because the surrounding minerals etc. will have a large impact on what the water is like. My parents have a well that is sort of a holy spring for reef tanks and I use it solely on their 30g for the last 4-5 years and have used it on my own tanks.

HOWEVER, anyone that uses tap and does not follow the above items from everyone runs the risk of introducing some really nasty permanent elements like copper into their tanks, and it can/will ruin a large investment in a hurry.

Lots of folks with experience here seem to be presenting a pattern of information....

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:18 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nøjo
If you guys come across a model that you'd recommend, please feel free to let me know.
good deals.. :P

long ebay link
that one includes a DI unit but no holding tank(not nessisary)

Filter Direct ebay store
great designs IMO but not as cheap..

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...61359&start=10
check my last post on that thread.. :P
Old 11-19-2005, 11:53 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsGuru
Lots of folks with experience here seem to be presenting a pattern of information....
I noticed that. You can seperate people you can and should listen to on this forum from those that will point you aimlessly about, and that's the main reason my thinking is being converted.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:29 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

So instead of investigating further into RO/DI systems I had an epiphany of sorts and walked half a block down the street to visit my local water wholesaler. Turns out that not only is he able to supply all my purified water needs but is also a long time reef enthusiast who has used the water for years. He told me that there is a sizeable local reef community and he's been handling their water needs. Talk about lucking out.

Getting 60 gallons of RO/DI water will cost me a grand total of $25 - on the condition that I stop in regularly to let him know how my tank is doing. And seeing as it's all going to be delivered by one of his staff, it'll actually be an awful lot less of a hassle than if I was to use the tap in the other room.

What a relief! I can go ahead as planned now and start my tank this weekend!
Old 11-19-2005, 10:04 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

To answer your question directly: No.

You would have little to no benefit of using mature freshwater to get a jump start on cycling because there are tons and tons of different bacterial species that contribute to the nitrogen cycle. Some live in freshwater, some in soil, some in saltwater, and in all variations and conditions within and between these categories. Chances are the particular species that thrive in FW would not survive in saltwater, and vice versa. I'm sure there are at least a few of some useful species in your FW, but probably not enough to contribute to a swift cycle, and I'd be more worried about the other chemical conditions.

Now, RO/DI is the best way to go, or even distilled water (I use distilled for my 2.5gal nano reef, it's easy), but if these aren't an option, tapwater might be ok. I used tapwater in my 55gal reef a few years ago with NO problems. But I can't speak for your tapwater, it varies widely based on where you live.

Hope that helps.

-dave-
Old 11-20-2005, 09:39 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nøjo
Getting 60 gallons of RO/DI water will cost me a grand total of $25 - on the condition that I stop in regularly to let him know how my tank is doing. And seeing as it's all going to be delivered by one of his staff, it'll actually be an awful lot less of a hassle than if I was to use the tap in the other room.
What about frequent water changes down the road? It will not take long before you have spent the same amount that you would have spent 1 time on the RO/DI unit for yourself. Other than small nanos, I can't see much saved from purchasing water elsewhere.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, freshwater, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com