Using freshwater water to cycle reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nøjo

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm just about to get my first reef tank together and I was curious as to whether or not I can use "mature" water from my well established freshwater tank to start the cycle. My freshwater levels are all really good, with the exception being that I've had a bit of an algae spurt due to high phosphate levels, which are now under 1.0. Is this something I can go ahead with, or am I better off using new water? I was a bit concerned about higher phosphate levels in a tank that I was planning to host inverts and corals in.

I have also been wondering that. is it OK to use water from your hose? Or should I basically empty the watertank in my house and fill my tank with sink water.

I have never used water from the hose to the tank. I would suggest using water from your sink to be on the safe side. Maybe someone else on here has.

Mike

Depending on your tap water. In some areas it's not so bad. Mine is terrible, so I use RO/DI water. Most tap water has compounds in it..however, some have more depending on location.
I just wouldn't use a garden hose from outside for sanitary reasons. JMO

If you plan on going reef, I would have your tap water tested. FO can handle it a lot more than corals can.

Mike

My sink water has chorline and a disturbingly low KH, but asides from that it's been fine to use for my fresh tank. I have no worries using local water for my reef tank as we have great water locally and I'm far too cheap to buy a RO/DI set up. One thing I just won't splurge on, as I have yet to be convinced that it's necessary for me.

But is there a worry with using water from a tank already cycled? Am I being too paranoid about the high phosphate levels I had?

But is there a worry with using water from a tank already cycled? Am I being too paranoid about the high phosphate levels I had?
I don't have experience using freshwater out of a freshwater tank. I just wouldn't do it.

Mike

Well, if I use the garden hose it would be able to cycle and filter for 6 weeks anyways... Maybe that will get the badness out of it.

The bacteria in FW will not survive the salt increase. The bacteria's cell walls will burst and you will gain nothing. (learned all that on the forum) Two completely different bacteria. You will be better off starting the cycle from scratch.
My
sink water has chlorine and a disturbingly low KH
SW and chlorine do not mix. Get a RO/DI or look for a different water source. You can bring the KH up.

Nojo for starters fw and sw have different needs and can not be compared. I used my tap water in my fw tank and had some minor HA issues. But having any phosphates in your water is only asking for troubles in a SW tank. I would never use my TW in my reef tank. PO4 hinders growth in corals and can effect the tank with algae issues.

2nd bacteria is not suspended in the water collum in any great numbers that it would help with a cycle. Bacteria grows on the surface of sand, gravel, LR etc.

3rd FW bacteria will not live in salt water two different things.

Are you talking garden hose that is out side all the time? I would not use this because I would be worried that something may leach from the hose.

As far as not using ro/di water that is your choice. I'm sure you have read about the problems some people have with tap water. Once you establish a tank with tap water and you have issues it would take months to correct the bad effects of bad water. If you are starting out with PO4 in the water you are only asking for trouble.

And SW is not a cheap hobby and cutting corners now will only cost you more money in the long run and lost of headaches.

Again its your tank so good luck..

PS= you can get a good ro.di on ebay for under $100. When your putting lots of money in a tank what another 100.

seaham358 said:
When your putting lots of money in a tank what another 100.
Sigh...famous last words. I think I said that about $2000 ago...

Thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated.

Could someone explain to me or better yet point me to a link that explains the difficulties of using tapwater vs RO/DI? I thought it was more a matter of a hobbyist going overboard as opposed to actually being a legitimate necessity. I was planning on filling up my tank this weekend but may postpone if I'm convinced it's really not a good idea for a reef set up.

Do a search on google to start.

Most Tap water contains heavy metals, phosphates, nitrates and you have town/city water with chlorine all will be removed by ro/di. Heavy metals and PO4 will cause issues with corals and anemones.

Overborad?? I thought that was the only way to go in this hobby...
If you got 2000 into an empty tank IMo your nuts if you don't spend another 100 for a ro/di unit. Your fish and corals will thank you... And you can drink the RO water, its great..

With the garded hose water, what if I let the hose run for like 10 minutes? Try to get everything out of there. I also have hot water that get HOT, and I mean REALLY REALLY hot! Like, I cant even put my hands under it. Maybe that will like burn out whatever is living in there (if anything). Unless cold water is better for killing bacteria and whatnot.

Heh, you can drink tap water too...

I'm seeing your point, don't take this the wrong way, but I thought heavy metals and chlorine were also removed by using a chemical neutralizer (such as Prime) and then afterwards your tank was ready to go, and that phosphates and nitrates can be removed by inserting media into your filter. If I can do this without a RO/DI unit then I'm having a hard time seeing the point. Am I completely wrong here or just slightly off the track?

Overboard is perhaps the wrong word. I do, quite strongly, believe in taking my time, buying equipment that is very good quality, and investing as much time and knowledge as is necessary for the long term health of my tank. This isn't going overboard as much as it is being true to yourself and your hobby. So far I just haven't been able to convince myself that a RO/DI unit is more than just being frivolous. I mean I can see that it's not a bad thing to have, but I'm also perhaps too wary because I've had a heck of a time isolating what I need as opposed to unnecessary expenses.

Thanks for your time explaining things out to me seaham.

Over time filters and additives in the tank may remove the bad stuff but never 100%. Then you have water changes to deal with so you will be constantly adding the bad stuff in the tank. RO/DI will enable you to start clean and stay clean.

Well, my drinking water is RO but it is a small tank. It will take me days to be able to fill up my tank. I will have to fill up a little bucket and wait a like 5 hours. It will take probably take close to a week. Will that be OK to just let the water sit there?

Back
Top Bottom