Using my 10 gallon aquarium for a sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heerism

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to use my 10 gallon aquarium as my sump for my 40 gallon sw tank, is this a good idea?

how would you go about turning a tank into a sump. (future reference)

how would you go about turning a tank into a sump. (future reference)

Have the main tank drain into the 10 gal and then put a pump in the 10 gal to feed the water back into the main tank. Now it is a sump :)

You could add a skimmer or other equipment but you don't have too.

what do you put in the sump filters lr etc? also could you have a fuge in the sump or would you have to have another seperate tank for that?

correct me if i'm wrong, but I think a fuge IS a sump, with all the wildlife added to make it a fuge.

Yes, you could partition a section of the sump to become the fuge. Do a search on "sump" and you will get a ton of info.

WE have a good article on sumps in the article area. A fuge is simply an aquarium thats dedicated to a specific purpose. Be that growing macro algae, or other wildlife. With a sump the size of 10 gal I would really shy away from making a part of that a refuge. You will be much beter served having a 5 or 10 gal refuge and a 10 gal sump.

Your sump can be as complex (with dividers and seperate sections) or as simple (just a box with water going in and out) as you want/need it to be.

Back
Top Bottom