Using My Tap Water for a Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I'm well aware.

I've just been amazed at how people can run successful reefs for decades with tap water... I suppose if you do something wrong for long enough, it must end up going right.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There used to be a young lady on the site here that used to use tap for years. Used to brag how her tank was doing just fine for 10-15 yrs ( I cant remember). Then all of sudden everything died at the same time. Nobody could explain why. I personally think it was a build up of heavy metals from tap water. There is no where for them to go. Everything doing fine then WHAM. Enough to keep me from using tap. I have an article about tap water in the reef aquarium.. It`s in our articles section. I do work for a large water municipality.

There used to be a young lady on the site here that used to use tap for years. Used to brag how her tank was doing just fine for 10-15 yrs ( I cant remember). Then all of sudden everything died at the same time. Nobody could explain why. I personally think it was a build up of heavy metals from tap water. There is no where for them to go. Everything doing fine then WHAM. Enough to keep me from using tap. I have an article about tap water in the reef aquarium.. It`s in our articles section. I do work for a large water municipality.

I also read a nice article about the buildup of heavy metals and other toxic compounds in the tank introduced with fish food. Forgot exactly what source it was but it was a reputable reefing source. I'll have to dig it up as well.

Back
Top Bottom