Using natural sea water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duddits

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone ever used natural sea water to cycle or start up a saltwater tank?

I've read some threads online and it seems to be a 50/50 thing. Some recommend it if not swear by it and others are totally against it. Just wondering why it can't be used to cycle a tank. If there are no fish, why not?

Natural sea water won't cycle a tank, it is just water. Then you'd have to be careful not to get polluted water. I just don't see the reason to use it.

There are reasons not to use it. If not collected in the right area and then stored for a while to allow parasites to die, it could be a disaster for your tank, or even worse, contain toxins. There are big public aquariums on the coasts that use raw seawater collected miles off shore, but even they filter and UV sterilize it first.

I live in south Florida and get my water from offshore when I'm fishing. I definitely swear by the stuff. It works great. What could be better than the real stuff itself? I would not recommend using water from within a mile of the beach as it will not be as clean.

I live in South Fl also. I get mine on incoming tides at the inlet. Always used it cycled fine just check the salinity it will be high. Three lfs use it an sell it, up to a dollar a gallon. I'll get mine myself they go to same location.

I also use natural seawater sold by the 5 gallon bag sold at Petco. Never had a problem with it. I've researched it and apparently they collect it offshore and then filter it to remove all potentially harmful bacteria. Then they run the water through a nitrate and phosphate remover before they package it. I test every box before I add it to my systems and it always tests 0 ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phopsphate and 1.024 salinity.

I use natural SW about 1/2 the time. Either collect it while out fishing or on an incoming tide. I live on an island tho in BC. My salinity here is just over 1.020 so I have to spike it with salt to get it to what the fishes like.

Just curious, if I used maybe 5 gallons of natural sea water, wouldn't that help the cycle? I mean, I'd imagine there is some beneficial bacteria in natural sea water but I don't want to pollute my tank either.

Daniel Fishy said:
I live in South Fl also. I get mine on incoming tides at the inlet. Always used it cycled fine just check the salinity it will be high. Three lfs use it an sell it, up to a dollar a gallon. I'll get mine myself they go to same location.

Are you talking about Haulover? I get my water from Key Biscayne

It's funny cause I just had this discussion with the owner of my LFS last night. Natural sea water will not instantly cycle a tank and in my opinion won't really help the cycle either. I think the main reason people use it is out of convenience as you don't have to mix it. If I lived at the coast I would likely use it but it does have to be sterilized and may contain contaminants which kinda eliminates the benefit. The show tanked is entertaining to watch and they build some amazing tanks but the way they fill them and add fish doesn't fly with me. The bacteria in a bottle helps but when you add huge amounts of fish to a new system and it "instantly cycles" because they used natural sea water or bacteria in a bottle is a load of bs. I'm sure those tanks suffer massive losses. When I started my tank I used cured live rock and added some seachem stability and my cycle was instant but I feel that was due to the rock and not the stability. Alot of people do swear by it and it likely does help but nothing beats a proper fishless cycle.

All my tanks had to cycle with natural water just like everybody else 4 to 6 weeks. Palm beach country usually palm beach inlet.

Ok, I was just inquiring guys. I never stated that using natural sea water would instantly cycle my tank. Just thought it would help the cycle being that it does in fact carry some bb. As of now I started my cycle with instant ocean salt and dechlorinated water. It will be a fish less cycle more then likely or I'll do the whole dead shrimp thing. Either way, I know it takes 4-8 weeks to properly cycle a tank. I think the instant cycle method is terrible. There is no way you can add fish instantly. I'm doing it right the first time so I can have a successful reef tank.

Your using dechlorinated water? That will likely lead to algae issues, rodi is best but I started with tap water dechlorinated and it worked but I had a freaking jungle growing in my tank.

kdpuffer said:
Your using dechlorinated water? That will likely lead to algae issues, rodi is best but I started with tap water dechlorinated and it worked but I had a freaking jungle growing in my tank.

Just for the cycle. My last tank did fine on tap water. My RO/DI unit is on its way :)

Yeah I know there is no way to have a successful tank using dechlorinated tap water. Just curious, how often do you all do water changes?

I only usually did water changes once a month, only because I seriously understocked my tanks. For instance, my 30L with a 15 gallon refugium usually only had two small fish, a cleaner wrasse and a clown that I had for years. I tore it down a couple months back to give to my brother though.

Back
Top Bottom