Using only live rock and a skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey Guys,

I am curious to who is using only live rock and a skimmer. I have always been a fan of some kind of mechanical/chemical filtration but I have also met many people who swear that the best reef is accomplished with only live rock and a protien skimmer.

Also, does anyone use only live rock and a skimmer on a sump less tank? Since I have been away more then usual I took the sump off my reef tank some time ago and added the Ehiem Pro Wet/Dry in its place.

I use just liverock in a 55 and a 44 cube. Liverock plus skimmer in the 175 bow and the 110. The 55 does not have a sump, the rest do.

My 45 gallon has just liverock and a skimmer, and no sump/refugium. I have 2 powerheads for flow, but am considering adding a canister for PO4 media and carbon. So far so good.

I use only live rock and a skimmer, but I do use a sump just cuz its so easy and having the calerpa in there does wonders for my nitrates (plus it lets me unload some rock out of the main tank to free up some swimming room for the fish)

I have a 30 long with no sump, LR and a skimmer, 2 powerheads. I have some macroalgae growing in the tank as well. I think for a smaller tank not having a sump is OK, as it's easier to do more PWCs. If/when I upgrade to a larger tank I think I would have a sump, but still just have a skimmer and LR.

I use LR and a PS with a sump that also has some macro. I do add GAC one week a month and I do a 20% pwc every month.

46g bowfront, no sump - with live rock and skimmer only. Granted, I have a Magnum 250 HOT, but it's just running Purigen and the blue prefilter sponge gets changed out every 2 weeks so I'm pretty sure I don't have much bacterial population there. No algae issues, no phosphates, 0ppm ammonia/nitrites/nitrates.

!st 7 yrs I had a 55 gallon tank with a skimmer and LR only. Last 2 1/2 yrs LR and a skimmer and a refugium on my 125 gallon tank. It looks like LR and a skimmer is popular around here.

I have always said that nature knows best! I use LR a skimmer and fuge...I have Macro for nutrient export....

29G with LR only. No skimmer, sump, filter. Just LR and a pair of pumps for circulation. Water changes are *very* important when going this route.

Peace.

PC said:
29G with LR only. No skimmer, sump, filter. Just LR and a pair of pumps for circulation. Water changes are *very* important when going this route.

Peace.

(y) (y)

I use a bak pak 2 protien skimmer 45 lbs of LR and a millenium 3000 with chemipure and LR rubble.

on my 24 gal cube.

no problems...yet

Back
Top Bottom