Using ozonizer without ORP controller( in reef tank)- ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigShot

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is how I plan to connect Coralife ozonizer to my 90 gallon reef tank.
The dosage will be 3mg/10gallons (max dosage for the ozonizer I have) .
It will be connected to the venturi port of my BakPak2 skimmer.
I was told that the usual dosage is around 5mg/10 gallons, but that is all I have right now, so I hope 3mg/10 gallons will still be somewhat sufficient.
I was also told that since I connect the ozonizer to venturi of skimmer, I really should not worry about passing water through carbon, because one will react by the time water goes to the main tank.
The main question I ponder is can I do without ORP controller for a few months?
Especially since the dosage is way less than the recommended average.
So the questions that remain are:
- Should I run the ozonizer all the time?
- What are some overdose symptoms in fish and inverts that I should keep an eye on?
- Will 3mg/10 gallons still be beneficial?
- Is it possible for the ORP to be too high?
- And finally will ozone take out any essential trace elements, such as iodine, calcium, strontium, magnesium etc… that I should increase supplementation of?

Thanks,
Luke

I am just wondering why so set on an ozonator?

You can acheive the same results from a UV Sterilizer and with a UV, there is no over doing it. The only side affect with over doing it, is heat.

Ozone greatly increases skimmer efficiency. My guess is that you'd be OK with such a low dose, but this is based on reading and not experience. I'd get some more opinions before I did it. One option might be to put the ozonizer on a timer and not run it continuously.

i run mine at 5mg 24/7 and made a big diff in skimmer output for sure and havnt lost anything due to overdose!!

Back
Top Bottom