Using pickling lime to raise alk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My alk is at 7.01(Hannah). I do a 25 gallon water change once a week on my 150. I use reef crystals. I was wanting to raise my ph also. It varies from 7.87-8.1 from morning to night

Well first off, the ph isnt that bad. It can be higher if you have good surface agitation, I use powerheads pointed at the surface of the water. Also going topless can hlep raise the ph. But if you have those things already i still wouldnt stress the ph, mine used to run from 7.8 to about 8.0. Stability is way more important than a few points. :)

As for the alkalinity, you can use soda ash, I get mine from BRS and it will raise the alkalinity safely. A few lbs cost me a couple bucks.

I think, not totally sure, but I believe you heat the baking soda up in the oven and it works the same. Me, I'm kinda lazy and just got the soda ash. lol

Lol yea I try to be lazy myself. I've just been getting a lot of SPS here lately and I'm just being very diligent with my tank. I am seeing great growth though

If you have a good amount of coral, it is eating up the elements faster than you can change the water. You can always up the water change schedule, change salts or start dosing. How is your calcium and magnesium?

Lime is what is generally labeled as kalkwasser at the LFS. The clear liquid that is used is called limewater( kalkwasser in German) for obvious reasons. This is a very old technique for reef keeping that I really believe in. It isn't good for initially raising cal and alk, but it's excellent at maintaining them. It also produces a form of calcium that my corals seem to thrive on. It must be added very, very slowly, usually when the tank ph is lowest. Some add it to their top off water. I use a doser with it.

Last edited:
I put some in my top off reservoir. My ph didn't go down over night like it was. Stayed at 8.02 was dropping down to 7.87 at night. I'm waiting to see how high the ph goes by the end of day. As long as my alk stays at 7 and cal at 480 I'll be happy

Back
Top Bottom