Using power filter as overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

G1203

Aquarium Advice Freak
When the time comes for an upgrade would I be able to use my aqueon 55/75 to make an over flow? If so what would I need to do?

I can see how you could do it, but it wouldn't be a very effective one since it won't surface skim. It would also be pretty ugly. You'd have to buy a larger siphon tube and a strainer for it. Then figure out the biggest bulkhead you can put in the bottom of it, drill and install. You'll end up having to leave the motor on unless you can find a bulkhead that will fit that hole and use that for the drain.

I'd personally go to craigslist, Amazon, or Ebay and look for a fabricated one. I don't think it would be worth the aggravatio in the long run.

I'd say drill the back of your tank if you can, as a HOB overflow can cause problems... You can then use gravity as the drain, and use a pump for the return...

So it's best to buy a built in overflow on a tank?

So it's best to buy a built in overflow on a tank?

If possible yes. Or like I said, get holes drilled in your tank, as long as its not tempered. I bought a 75 and had 3 holes drilled, and used 90 degree bends with strainers (I dont like the look of overflow boxes)

Back
Top Bottom