Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Using Previously Dead Rock

I previously had a saltwater reef about up until a year ago. I had a 29 gallon tank with about 70 pounds of LR (in the refuge too). Anyway, to make a long story short, I have about 70 pounds of LR sitting in an old fish tank in my basement. As we all know, it would be expensive to replace all of this LR in the new tank, if I decide to start again. Is it possible to use this LR even though its been dry for about a year now? Also, if I can use it, what steps are necessary to get it back to life (if possible). I am basically going to be setting up a nano (20g). My previous tank had some kind of "disease" that took out all of my corals - I never really found an answer (all parameters were always very pristine, 0's across the board with the proper levels of calcium, iodine, etc. If it was in fact a disease that did kill the corals, could it survive all this time on the rock out of water for almost a year? If I have to buy new LR its not a problem, just dont want to spend money when I dont have too. Any comments appreciated.

Squado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Dead rock will become LR over time. Just cycle your tank and cure the LR at the same time. You`ll need something like a small shrimp to jump start the cycle since there is not much die off on your dead rock. You might want to buy a few pieces of LR to seed the old rock. HTH

BTW Welcome to AA

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
The only red flag is if you ever medicated anything in the main tank that would cause such coral die-off? Live rock can be spoiled if that is the case, but if not as melosu stated, it will become live once bacteria recolonizes. Of course, you might as well mix fresh uncured lr to jump start the cycle.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Or a raw unseasoned jumbo shrimp if you don't want to buy more uncured rock...
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

If you want to get coraline algae growing on the rock you will need a source. A single rock from the lfs will do and shouldn't cost much.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

dead, dead rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com