Using sand straight from the water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blcmounthood

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What's to stop me from hauling down to the gulf and shoveling a 100 pounds of sand off of the sea floor to use in my tank? Sounds like it would beat the heck out of paying 1$ a pound for it at the pet shop.

What's to stop me from hauling down to the gulf and shoveling a 100 pounds of sand off of the sea floor
Be sure to check local conservation laws before doing so. Most areas have laws that can range from not allowing it to allowing certain amounts per/X. Contact your local Environmental Conservation agency and ask.

If it's permitted, it's suggest you go out into the water as far you can safely and use the sand from there. becareful carying your bucket out of the water, it will be VERY heavy.

blcmounthood said:
"Bath" water of the gulf?

Lot's of contaminants near shore. I can remember occassions in Galveston, for example, when I would get tar on my feet from the beach - no way in hell I would put that in my tank! Needless to say, despite the short drive, I don't spend much time in Galveston. :roll:

In order to get good sand you'd have to go out a ways - further than what is practical. Logistically it would be a real pain. I think if you factor in your time and effort, a dollar a pound may not seem too high. At least it's a one time expense. :wink:

go for it have done it a few times and havnt had any issues !! went out about chest deep !! if ya know were the sand bar is try to get out there !! best way imo is to get some plain trash bags and fill them so ya can carry easy !! then when ya get home all ya have to do it rip the bag open and ya done :)

Great, that's what I wanted to hear :D .

saberry,
I wish you could see Destin and Panama City beach FL in late May early June. The water is so clear it looks like those Carribean islands in some commercials. However, over here in Mississippi it's man-made beaches so it's not quite as pretty. I really think it's where you go in the gulf that makes all the difference.

Back
Top Bottom