using super glue for fragging- plz advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey I just picked up a $1 pack of super glue to use to attach some pieces star polyps to some rocks.

1. What kind of super glue can you use? I noticed in some posts people say super glue "gel." I got super glue "liquid." Should I not use what I have?

1. Can you use this on button polyps?

Thanks.

You can try it. IME the gel does work better. The liquid seems to just run all over the place and not provide a very good substance to stick with. But you can give it a try, it's not going to harm the coral.

The liquid super glue is designed for smooth surface to smooth surface bonding with no air gaps between them.

The super glue gel is made for filling small gaps between two surfaces that don't meet perfectly... like live rock and your coral. :wink:

Yes, you can use super glue gel on button polyps.
I've successfully used it on single zoas, and even on sliced mushroom fragments (after much wiping away of slime with paper towels).

I just glued some today. Liquid can work, but gel is best. Recomend doing the gluing in a small container. As soon as the glue hits the water it turns to a gel and sets very fast.

Polyps and LPS are tough. If they are attached to a piece of rock or gravel it is best to glue that to the larger rock. Otherwise they tend to slime the glue off.

Good Luck,

Ok. Thanks for the input. I'll get some gel next time I'm in Walmart.

I didn't know you could use super glue on mushroom..... I've cut a lot and just let them attach in a cup in low flow. I might try that.

I recently tried to attach some finger leather frags by thread and it did not turn out too good. I should have used the super glue gel.

Hey guys-

I have a small candy-cane coral that has two stalks of some type of xenia (I think pom-pom) attached to heads in the middle of the candy-cane. Can I just pull the xenia off and then use the super glue gel to attach it to a rock?

I've had the candy-cane/xenia combo for 9 months and the xenia is finally starting to overgrow the candy-cane so I want to separate the two, even though it is pretty.

You can pull it or you can take the a knife and cut it off, leaving part of the skeleton it is attached too. Might be a little cleaner that way and the skeleton really will carve away easily if your knife is sharp enough.

ace1uno_00 said:
you can use that one shrooms? so im guessing you glue at the base right?

I'm not sure. I've heard multiple ideas on using super glue on mushrooms. I've heard not to do it because it will restrict the tissue of the mushroom and hurt it, then I hear that you can use it? Doesn't hurt to try. Find a mushroom, cut it in half, attach one piece with super glue and attach the other in a different way. That way if the super glue doesn't work you still have the mushroom.

Umm Can you still use super glue on the xenia? And then would I want to place it in a low flow area or near where it is now?

O I didn't read the post correctly- remove the xenia so that some of the skeleton is still attached. Thanks.

I have found for shrooms all you need to do is set the polyp on a piece of LR rubble in a very low flow area and the shroom (like an anemone) will grab ahold of the rock and there starts your new colony. I don't think I would try glue on a shroom.

Yea that's what I usually do. I have a small plastic container that I put small rocks and shells in then I place the mushrooms in there and cover it with this red plastic stuff that come with oranges to hold everything in but still let water go through.

I have a small candy-cane coral that has two stalks of some type of xenia (I think pom-pom) attached to heads in the middle of the candy-cane. Can I just pull the xenia off and then use the super glue gel to attach it to a rock?
Xenia is very hard to "frag". When out of the water it pretty much just turns to mush. It spreads on its own very quickley. Try placing the area of the coral with the Xenia on it next to the rockwork. It may climb out on its own.

Oh...I much prefer gell super glue for fragging projects.

I think I'm just gonna try and break the candy cane head off that they are attached to. It is dead anyway and if I just break the rock then I could super glue the rock to a rock and viola no more xenia over growing my candy cane coral.

If that head if the candy cane is dead, then just snap it off. You can let the xenia stay on it and then let the candy cane alone. As long as the head has an area that is breakable. Sometimes with LPS, if a head dies, it is best to remove it anyway. The other heads could follow.

Super glue gel is best since it is easier to use. IMO, the gel is worthless for mushrooms and most leathers. They slime too much and will come unglued.

Back
Top Bottom