Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2007, 01:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to ace1uno_00
you can use that one shrooms? so im guessing you glue at the base right?

Old 01-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1uno_00
you can use that one shrooms? so im guessing you glue at the base right?
I'm not sure. I've heard multiple ideas on using super glue on mushrooms. I've heard not to do it because it will restrict the tissue of the mushroom and hurt it, then I hear that you can use it? Doesn't hurt to try. Find a mushroom, cut it in half, attach one piece with super glue and attach the other in a different way. That way if the super glue doesn't work you still have the mushroom.

Umm Can you still use super glue on the xenia? And then would I want to place it in a low flow area or near where it is now?

O I didn't read the post correctly- remove the xenia so that some of the skeleton is still attached. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:11 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have found for shrooms all you need to do is set the polyp on a piece of LR rubble in a very low flow area and the shroom (like an anemone) will grab ahold of the rock and there starts your new colony. I don't think I would try glue on a shroom.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea that's what I usually do. I have a small plastic container that I put small rocks and shells in then I place the mushrooms in there and cover it with this red plastic stuff that come with oranges to hold everything in but still let water go through.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have a small candy-cane coral that has two stalks of some type of xenia (I think pom-pom) attached to heads in the middle of the candy-cane. Can I just pull the xenia off and then use the super glue gel to attach it to a rock?
Xenia is very hard to "frag". When out of the water it pretty much just turns to mush. It spreads on its own very quickley. Try placing the area of the coral with the Xenia on it next to the rockwork. It may climb out on its own.

Oh...I much prefer gell super glue for fragging projects.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I'm just gonna try and break the candy cane head off that they are attached to. It is dead anyway and if I just break the rock then I could super glue the rock to a rock and viola no more xenia over growing my candy cane coral.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:32 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

If that head if the candy cane is dead, then just snap it off. You can let the xenia stay on it and then let the candy cane alone. As long as the head has an area that is breakable. Sometimes with LPS, if a head dies, it is best to remove it anyway. The other heads could follow.

Super glue gel is best since it is easier to use. IMO, the gel is worthless for mushrooms and most leathers. They slime too much and will come unglued.

Tags
frag, glue

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com