Using underwater epoxy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DurTBear

Aquarium Advice Activist
I hope this hasn't been discussed too much already but I did a search and haven't seen anything quite this specific. I have some zoas on small rocks and I would like to secure them higher up in the tank because every time I place them, my hermits and/or snails keep knocking them down. My goal is to have some of the zoas spread to the larger rocks. So I think I want to use some epoxy that you can work with underwater. I would also like to be able to break off the small rock that the zoas are on so I can make frags once they spread to the larger rocks. Would this work? Would I be able to use a little bit of epoxy to secure the rocks and then be able to break them off later on down the road? Or would the epoxy hold so tight that it would require drills and such to separate the small rock from the large one? Thanks for the help!

Under water epoxy breaks apart pretty easily. Separating two rocks in the future will not be an issue.

is there any epoxy out there that you do not have to take the rock out of the water to use? I have a frag that is in a hole on one of my rocks that is at the bottom. I really do not want to take the rock out and am looking for something I can use.

Thanks

do you mean let it harden on the rock or on the coral? Like I said I am looking for something that I can apply to the rock while still in the water. I do not want to disrupt what I have in my tank.

Mix the epoxy to "activate" it, then let it sit for a minute or two out in the air. That will allow it to set up alittle, that makes it easier to work with. Then go ahead and use it underwater. IME placing the epoxy on the rock you want to attach the frag to first, then applying the frag works best.

And don't expect the epoxy to work like glue. Think of it as clay.

And if you find one that works like glue... let me know!

I actually ordered this HoldFast Epoxy Stick and is on the delivery vehicle, to my house, as I type.

Wow, how about letting me know if it works....my hermit crab is a moving crew just by himself (heck, if it really works I have some children I'd like to try it on).

Actually... I used that HoldFast stuff by Marineland after I ran out of the TwoLittleFishies stuff when I was setting up by aquascape. The HoldFast was the only thing my nearest LFS had. Can't say I was impressed. The TwoLittleFishies stuff seemed tackier. As far as putty goes, they both work fine, but I guess I like my epoxy a little stickier.

I'll have to let you know next weekend. I spent all day on my 55G. I bought two Hydor 1s and re-set up my tank and cleaned. I didn't have a chance to do anything to my 125G (which is where I am going to use it on my base rock).

So I tried that Holdfast stuff and I can't say that I was impressed as well. I tried to dry off the small rock I wanted to attach to the larger one and when I tried to stick the epoxy to the small rock, it didn't really stick (it only stuck to my fingers which in turn peeled it off the small rock). Then I just stuck it onto a large rock. It seems to be easier to work with underwater as it doesn't tend to stick to your hands as much. I have a feeling the epoxy will serve more as a ledge/crevice that the small rock can securely sit in. But as to whether or not it's actually stuck to the small rock, I'm not so sure about that. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong but it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

My $0.02.

Can I use regular epoxy or does it have to be marine. I have some reg 3M epoxy and need ot secure a leather that keeps going for a ride.

Use only epoxy meant for aquarium use.

DurTBear - I was chuckling about your "stick to your fingers more than the rock" comment. That was my experience too. But in it's defense, I don't think any of the underwater epoxies are really truly sticky. You just have to work it into the nooks/crannies of the rock and mush the other rock/frag into it to form a perfect little connection. I'm guessing the stuff that makes it really sticky is the same stuff that makes it not safe for aquarium use.

Hahaha! Yeah, I checked on everything tonight while I was doing my weekly water change and it turns out everything seems to have worked out. All the small rocks seem pretty secure so like you said (and like others have suggested) it really works best to put the epoxy onto the rock you want to secure the rock/frag to and just work the rock/frag into the epoxy. Good learning experience though!

Back
Top Bottom