UV in a reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomStav

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is not another thread debating the need for a UV in a reef tank, more on how much exposure is needed to do the trick without killing all life from the water.

I am currently planning and upgrading my tank to a 125G + sump. And am looking at the Aqua UV 25 Watt series. I am thinking of plumbing this UV straight into the drain from my DT to sump. If so it would have about 1000GPH running though it. This sort exposure time is recommended by the company for a reef tank to ensure that natural planktonic foods are not destroyed.

So here is my question! At a rate this fast, will the UV actually achieve anything? My main reason for wanting to run the UV is to clarify the water of free floating algae particles etc, but will this even manage that?

Here is a link to the specs from the manufacturer including a chart on flow rates.

http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/sites/default/files/brochures/UV Charts Salt and Fresh Water.pdf

The "dwell time" on these units have a pretty narrow band from killing bad organisms to killing all organisms.
Also, the tubes have to be cleaned and changed a lot. I am not sure they are worth the trouble and took mine off line over 12 years ago. Haven't missed it. I am sure somebody else has had one save their tank, but I think you can spend your money on better stuff.

You want a big, effective active carbon filter, maybe with a sediment filter before it. That will clarify the water, but also strip it of everything else as well.

To prolong the life of your light, I would place it in the return line. You don't want to gunk up the quartz tube inside.

I'm running 55watt unit in my tank that's about the size of yours. But my agenda is different. Just like there is no such thing as too much filtration, I believe there is no such thing as too much UV, you simply control the rate to achieve what you're looking for.

Cheers

W

Back
Top Bottom