Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to robertfah
UV Light with a reef tank

I went down to my LFS looking to buy a new UV llight (currently I have an old Aquanetics 25W POS and the bulb is burnt). I told him that I have FO now but would like to make it a reef tank in the next year. He said I wouldn't need a UV light if I was going reef. Is this true? My assumption is that the LR would break down the nitrates and other things that the UV light normally took care of, but I don't know if that's 100%

90g Reef
robertfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Not sure what the answer is, but I've had a UV running for 3 years in my reef tank.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I run a UV on a reef. LFS is wrong. UV does not remove NO3. It kills parasites, algae spores etc. PS. it will also kill pods.
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I love my UV. It is an asset to my reef tank. As Brian said it does all those things.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
I also run a uv light on my reef. Like Brenden said the uv will not play a role in the removal of NO3. I love my UV.
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to hackteck
i'm still wonderin if i need one, guess eventually i'll end up purchasing one
hackteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to jester Send a message via Yahoo to jester
are u saying that a uv kills pods?

my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
jester is offline   Reply With Quote

light, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com