UV sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Guys,

I'm looking to get a UV sterilizer, and I'm trying to decide between the TMC Vecton 2 200, or the Aqua Medic Helix Max 5w. Both are suitable sizes for my tank.

They're a similar price, and the only thing I can find between them so far is that the Aqua Medic is a lot smaller, while the Vecton appears to have more features (lamp indicator etc.).

Any advice on which to go for?

Aquarium Ultra Violet Sterilizers: Coralife Turbo-Twist UV Sterilizers

This is a much better one IMO. It twist around the light and spends more time around the light thus have a better kill ratio among parasites and algea spores. Why are you getting one? We have a good article on sterilizers in our article section.

Thanks, I'll see if it's available in the UK. The main reason is to try and reduce potential algae problems by doing whatever I can, and also as a benefit to the fish with me adding new ones when I haven't for a while. I'll also be adding a Deltec MCE300 skimmer.

EDIT: It unfortunately doesn't look like they're available to buy in the UK, but the reviews/testimonials on that site, particularly in relation to algae, are fantastic! It does look like it's the one to get, anyone any idea how I can get one in the UK (with UK plug)?

The plug part should be no problem as they make adapters to go on the plug. When I flew to Moldova a few times that`s what I got for my electric stuff. If they dont ship overseas get someone to buy one for you and ship it over there. Maybe you have some friends over here.

The plug part should be no problem as they make adapters to go on the plug. When I flew to Moldova a few times that`s what I got for my electric stuff. If they dont ship overseas get someone to buy one for you and ship it over there. Maybe you have some friends over here.

I emailed them, and they do ship internationally which is great. I'm just waiting for a price for shipping. I also need to find out if it is just a physical plug adaptor I need for the end, and not a transformer to convert the voltage (i.e. is the unit compatible with different voltages). I'm waiting to hear back.

It also looks like the unit (9w) is also relatively compact at 11" long and 3" deep, which is great as it needs to me mounted inside my aquarium hood ideally.

Thanks for the suggestion, it looks like a great unit!

It worked good for me for several years. It should do good for you also.

Great. Do you think it'll fit into the hood of my Juwel Vision 180? These things tend to be bigger than the pictures suggest!

If all you needed to get yours working in Moldova was a physical plug adaptor, I assume it works on multiple voltages as I think Moldova uses 220/240 like the UK?

I believe you will need a "stepdown transformer:
Rating:
input 230-240v 50Hz AC Mains
Output 110-115v 50HZ AC
Maximum (210mA Resistive) 24VA
I got mine from Dick Smith electronics when I was in Australia.....
TC

I didnt use it for a UV. I used the adapters for my razor and CD player. But yes I think it`s the same for them as Europe.

Back
Top Bottom