Uv sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevinalewis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a uv sterilizer and wanted to know if I should use it or leave it off? Could I put powerhead in return part of sump and plumb it thru sterilizer back to sump return section? Thanks

If you have it , use it,won't hurt anything ...I think running it through the return to the DT would be best,but i don't see why you couldn't run the way you wanted either

The problem with uv they are all different you have to find out the flow rate needed to kill bacteria and parasites. So chances are running it directly on your return or feed the flow is most likely to high for the UV to do anything productive.

Your idea works just get the powerhead to match the flow rate you need for your model UV

The problem with uv they are all different you have to find out the flow rate needed to kill bacteria and parasites. So chances are running it directly on your return or feed the flow is most likely to high for the UV to do anything productive.
This is true ...Didn't think of that...
Check what your suggested flow rate is and go from there

That's what I've been told. I didn't want to run it inline with the return pump cause flow rate would be too much. I have a 402 powerhead I was going to use. It's a coralife sterilizer.

So is there a downside to a uv sterilizer? Won't it kill beneficial bacterial, pods, etc...? I had one on my canister filter but I lost that thing in my move :( I was thinking I would get another one if I set up a qt though.

They seem to be a confusing piece of equipment ....
I also read that not having them run through the return and just being fed with a PH is not very effective ...Basically because not "all" the returning water will pass through it..IDK,,i never used one but did do some light reading on them before..

If run at the proper flow rate it will not kill your pods you have to look at the specs on the back of each box and it tells you the flow rate you need. Basically if it flows to slow it will kill some good stuff you want and to fast and it does nothing.

I does kill beneficial bacteria. But not enough to do any damage, they do more good then harm. However if there is no threat in the tank then there is no real reason for it other then to kill algea spores, which in turn makes the water clearer and less cleaning. I also hear it's good for removing stress form the tank. But I think that's just if theres parasites in there. I keep considering getting one just to help with algea maintenance

All of the water will eventually run thru just not on everypass.

You could always plumb one in and only run it if there is a problem. But if ran properly all the time it is benefical to the tank. You also have to frequently change the bulbs because as thy weaken the posted flow rates are no longer accurate.

Back
Top Bottom