Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2004, 10:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

UV sterilizer?

Would a small uv sterilizer benefit a 26 gallon tank or is it too small? im a little in the dark about sterilizers so sorry if its a stupid question! I found a kit that treats up to 125gallon tank for around 75.00 so i was wondering if it would be a wise investment. As always any help is appreciated

Old 03-19-2004, 10:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok now ive found a little more on it here and thought if i get it i would put it on the incoming line to the fug so it doesnt kill good stuff. does this sound right or is it overkill???? thanks guys

Old 03-20-2004, 12:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
This depends. If you look on the box or in the instructions, there should be somewhere that it tells you what the recommended rate of flow through the sterilizer is. Mine, for example, is a 9 watt sterilizer with 200-400 gph recommended flow. You want to aim for the bottom of this range, or even under it. Otherwise, you'll be installing a tanning parlor for parasites rather than a death camp.

For example, on my 200-400 gph sterilizer, I have a 150 gph pump. This is because UV sterilizers are the absolute worst things about claiming they're sufficient for a bigger tank and more flow than they are actually sufficient for. It's a good thing your sterilizer is good for a 125 gal.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 01:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

sweet thanks for the help gauge! i was worried about the gph but that helped clear it up a lot
Old 03-20-2004, 11:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Glad to help.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uv sterilizer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com