Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2004, 10:50 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
UV is over rated if you ask me. I had one and never knew the bulb blew out so i never replaced the bulb and took it off the tank.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 01:49 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmm is a 180 gallon per hour powerhead enough for the coralife turbo twist 3x? My bulb is a 9 watt PL compact fluorescent.

Old 03-27-2004, 12:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

The slower the gph, the higher the "kill rate" for the UV light. I would suggest anywhere from 100 to max 200 gph for a 9 watt CF UV. I personally run a CSL double helix 9 watt on a 58g tank with a Fluval 104 which pumps about 100 gph. Keeping the same theory, I also run a 18 watt CSL UV on a 90g with another Fluval 104, so you see that I keep my flow rate down for these small non- commercial UVs.
I've had more success with this type of setup than when I followed the manufacturers guidelines of 350 to 500 gph on a 25 watt UV that I used to run on the 90g. Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

So would 180 gal per hour kill parasites? Or is the water flows too fast? The water did not get heated up at this flows rate. BTW my 180 gal per hour means the powerhead 's full speed is 180 gal per hour. I did'nt minus the tubing reduction speed. And I got a piece of paper inside the box together with the turbo twist 3x, it indicates that in order to kill parasites, the flow rate have to be 55 gal per hour. Is'nt my water gnna heated up?
Old 03-27-2004, 08:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I read an article on the net that said you should over size your UV sterilizer by 40% and run it at about 60% of the max gph. It was on an aquaculture web site, I will try to find it for you.

I dont think a 9 watt bulb would heat the water too much at 55 GPH, but that is just my opinion.

HTH
Old 03-27-2004, 08:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here is one of the links:

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...Detail/ttid/80
Old 03-28-2004, 03:29 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmm, so one last question, should the water be warm or the same temp as the tank water when it flows out from the uv sterilizer? Mine is the same temp as the tank water. And should the water that comes out from the uv fast, moderate or very slow? Mine is like normal filtration speed. Because this brand of uv is created in a way that water inlet is at the bottom and outlet at the top, so water speed is reduced to a certain amount. Thanks for all reply.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:10 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Cesspool Send a message via MSN to Cesspool
question here. supposed u had a reef and ran halides, wouldnt the uv coming from the halides do the same thing as a uv sterilizer? i mean if they can give u a sunburn wouldnt it kill the parasites also? just a thought...
Old 03-28-2004, 03:17 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
question here. supposed u had a reef and ran halides, wouldnt the uv coming from the halides do the same thing as a uv sterilizer? i mean if they can give u a sunburn wouldnt it kill the parasites also? just a thought...
Actually most of the UV is is absorbed by the glass envelop of mogul type bulbs. When using a HQI bulb, you have to use a separate UV shield which, again, absorbs a lot of the UV.

Yes they still emit their fair share of UV even after the shields, but no were near what an actual UV unit can do...
Old 03-28-2004, 04:41 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Cesspool Send a message via MSN to Cesspool
spiffy, thanks for the clarification

Tags
uv sterilizer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com