UV Sterilizer bad for fan-worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking of getting a UV Sterilizer for my FOWLR tank - but I've noticed ALOT of fanworms growing around my tank. Infact- in my sump on my pump I have several 5" long ones that are almost a 1/4" in diameter. This sum was clean an empty about 2 months ago so I'm quite impressed with how quickly they've grown.

The reason I'm getting a UV Sterilizer is to help with ick (which several of my fish died from recently).

Thoughts?

Hmmm, the UV will only kill what goes through the unit....It is definitely not a cure all for ich...Hypo or copper treatment will get rid of it for sure.
The worms should be fine, since they are stationary and will not flow through it....

Last edited:
I used a UV light for many years and Scott hit it on the head when he said it will only kill parasites that go through the lighted chamber but to answer your question it will also kill pods or any other thing that goes through it also. That`s the downside to a UV.

Back
Top Bottom