uv sterilizer or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I do not currently have a uv sterilizer and I am wondering if it would help in getting rid of my cyano? At this point I'm sure I'm grasping at straws but it can't hurt to ask. I'm getting tired of battling this stuff. I do weekly water changes with ro water (20%)-I've cut back on the lighting schedule-I only feed every other day and only what they'll eat within a few minutes. When I do my water changes, I get my aquarium tubing and suck out the spots of cyano, but it's not more than 2 - 3 days later it's back (various spots around the tank - not a layer). I will admit that it has gotten better (a few months ago I would have a layer of the stuff within a day). Am I not being patient enough (it's been almost 3 months)? I haven't tried any of the magical fix-it powders etc....YET. I suppose I could add another ph, but my fish already surf around the tank without moving any fins. ARGH!!
I just tested my water:

SG 1.024
ph 8.1
ammonia 0.0 mg/l
alkalinity 4 mEq/L
phosphate .2 mg/l
nitrate 5 mg/l
nitrite 0.0
calicum 375 (low?)

Perhaps I need to continue to be diligent with my weekly water changes and just be patient.....then again, maybe the uv sterilizer will help with it.

Also, is a uv sterilizer a common piece of equipment in a saltwater tank? Any suggestions on picking one out?

The UV won't help and in general are a waste of money. Instead, I would suggest something like the Two Little Fishies Phos-Ban reactor and media. This is a lot cheaper and should help.

Well as far as personal experience, I have had one since I started SW nine yrs ago. UV`s are a big debate nowadays. I npersonally think they are a good addition to the SW tank. They are good for getting rid of parasites and algea spores that pass through the lighted chamber. I`ve not had ick or algea of any kind in over 7 yrs. Is it because of the UV or is it because of the weekly PWC`s, every other day feedings or good flow or even the clean up crew. I dont know but I do know I`m not going to change a thing. Read this on UV`s

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=31

I also have added an 11w UV to my tank and Im not lookin' back.

I have a 36 watt on my 180 gal and love it. Is it a cure-all, of coarse not, but I feel that there is a place for it in my tank.

MsBeanCtr said:
I just tested my water:

SG 1.024
ph 8.1
ammonia 0.0 mg/l
alkalinity 4 mEq/L
phosphate .2 mg/l
nitrate 5 mg/l
nitrite 0.0
calicum 375 (low?)

Get yourself some RowaPhos sponges and put one in with your carbon, or somewhere you've got a good flow path. I bet if you get that phosphate to 0, you'll see a difference.

Have you checked your RO for PO4? Your source water may be introducing PO4 and contributing to the problem. I'm not sure UV will do much for cyano, especially if NO3 and/or PO4 are high. .2 meg/l is very high for PO4. It should be no higher than .03 in a reef. Even then it can cause issues. The PO4 level is, at least, a big part of your problem. Rowaphos, and a couple other PO4 reducers, work wonders as Kurt and Steven mentioned.

MT79 said:
Have you checked your RO for PO4? Your source water may be introducing PO4 and contributing to the problem. I'm not sure UV will do much for cyano, especially if NO3 and/or PO4 are high. .2 meg/l is very high for PO4. It should be no higher than .03 in a reef. Even then it can cause issues. The PO4 level is, at least, a big part of your problem. Rowaphos, and a couple other PO4 reducers, work wonders as Kurt and Steven mentioned.

I haven't checked the ro (DUH!) but I will when I do my pwc this weekend. What do you think of getting a PhosBan Reactor and using the ROWAphos Phosphate Remover as media?

TIA!

roka64 said:
I use phosban in my phosban reactor.

Thanks much for the feedback. Is there anyway possible to get some additional information as to how you have that setup? And if I can be really greedy-how about a picture of it? I'm a visual person when it comes down to this kind of thing.

:)

Back
Top Bottom