Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2004, 09:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

uv sterilizer question

After reading alot of pros and cons on this web site about uv sterilizers I have decided to go ahead and order me one. I have a couple of questions first. Which one/size should I get for a 30 gallon fish only with live rock? It seems from what I read that the flow rate is very important. How do I figure out how to get it correct? What else do I need to order besides the uv?

Old 12-26-2004, 10:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tell us about your setup please. What type of filtration system?

For a 30 gallon I would go with an 8 watt UV. Depending on your setup will determine what else you might need to order. Will it be installed in-line, or hang on?

Old 12-27-2004, 12:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am using a bio-wheel 330 and two maxi-jet 400's. I have about 30 lbs of live rock. I think I need a hang-on type uv filter. Is using a higher powered uv filter than really needed just wasting money?
Old 12-27-2004, 04:15 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Check this out...I believe it will answer some, if not all, of your questions.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=39
Old 12-27-2004, 09:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

The Coralife Turbo Twist 8 watt should work great on your tank, and since it comes with a hang-on bracket all you'll need is a MaxiJet 600 powerhead for it and you'll be all set.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

So is flow rate the amount of water that goes through the uv light in a 24 hour period? I was thinking that flow rate meant how slow or fast the water went through the uv. So let me get this right......I put a maxi-jet in my tank and hook a hose to the end that then goes to the uv, the hose then comes out of the uv and dumps back into the aquarium.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got a Turbo Twist (the smallest one) and am pretty happy with it. The smallest one will treat my largest aquarium, so I use the same one on all my tanks. I hooked mine to a Rio 90, which I put in the tank just below the water line, I have a couple feet of 1/2 vinyl tubing pumping into the T.Twist, and then a short return hose dumping water back into the tank. If you go this route, or even if you pick another sterilizer, learn from my mistake and ORDER IT ONLINE!!!! I paid $189 for a Turbo Twist at my LFS, and then found the exact same thing at Drs. Foster and Smith's website for $79 on sale!!! Oh man I was HOT when I saw that!!!

But like you, I don't understand all that flow rate jazz, so I'm going to go back and read the link someone provided earlier to make sure I'm using mine correctly.

--Aquabear

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
FW2-5g, 1 Baby Gold Marble Angel (raised from fry), 6 Zebra Danios
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW3-30g, 2 mated Gold Marble Angels (Oscar/Yenta)
SW2-20g, QT, currently empty
FW4-30g, currently empty
FW5-20g, 2 Gold Angels (non-paired)
SW3-35g (REFUGIUM for SW1) - EVIL ChocChipStar, Nassarius and Turbo snails
SW4-55g, 4 BlueGreen Chromis, King's Crown snail.
AquaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 08:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I put a maxi-jet in my tank and hook a hose to the end that then goes to the uv, the hose then comes out of the uv and dumps back into the aquarium.
Correct. That world work.

Regarding flow rates... the key thing to remember is not to exceed the recommended GPH flow rate of the UV. In the case of the 8 watt TT I believe it's 200 GPH so a MaxiJet 600 (160 GPH) would work just right for you.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Personally I think they're kind of a waste... especially for the money on a 30 gal..... They definitely can't hurt... and I'm sure they help.... but you can get by without one......
Old 12-28-2004, 01:10 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Flow rate is the gallons per hour which pass over the UV bulb. Too high of a flow, nothing happens (or very reduced effictiveness). You could have too low, which would literally sterilize your water (but this may be what you want?).

I run a 9W sterilizer on a 1500gal pond. Cleared up green water (which formed despite very low nitrates :-/) in a matter of days.

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uv sterilizer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com