Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2006, 09:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
The coralife one is a HOB model. The pump has to be submerged but not the UV itself

Old 05-31-2006, 10:01 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I also like the Turbo twist. It is a good UV. I personally think they are a valuable asset to any reef tank. I do think also that if you have a pod population it could be bad for them

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have had a UV running for a couple of years, no ich and no algae. I always had doubt on whether it was doing anything. However, a few weeks ago, my tank started to show a lot of algae and I couldn't understand why. I then remember my UV tube has been running for about 10 months which I have forgotten to replace. After replacing it, the algae just disappeared. So it is definitely not a waste.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bought a 24w Jebo from eBay this week - less than 24 hours and I can already see a difference in water clarity. It was around $50. Came with insert attachments that worked great on my 1" flexible tube return line. Took 30 seconds to splice it into the return line and plug in.

Now I can see all the various solids floating around - food, sand, random bits of debris, and see that I need some better mechanical filtering. Before the water always had a white cloudy appearance. I can't wait to see what another 24 hours does to the clarity.

This model didn't come with instructions, so I'm running the flow as low as possible without heating the water, while I wait from word from the manufacturer.

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Lol, i feel u on the part "Now I can see all the various solids floating around - food, sand, random bits of debris". When my CSS125 started clearing up the water in my tank, i saw the same thing XD
Old 06-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

After two days now, my UV has really cleared things up - I started running a CSS125 about a month ago, and that helped a lot, but with the UV, the water is crystal clear, except, again, for all the junk floating in the water. I honestly don't think the water can get much clearer than it is now - I can see through the 48" tank from the end, all the way to the other side almost perfectly, where as before it was very foggy looking through that way.

I was getting some temperature increase, so I must have been running the flow rate a little low (my cheap Jebo doesn't have a manual, so I'm running it as slow as I can). I increased the flow a tad, and added a fan over the sump, which has got the temp under control.

Here's to hoping though that I never have another parasite problem! I did have a few problems with black ich spots on my Yellow tang, nothing in the last month though.

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uv sterilizer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com