Uv sterilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manny2123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are they needed in a reef aquarium? I kno they are a precaution against diseases such as ich, but if you do a good job upkeeping your tank Is it a necessity?

no alot of member say you dont need them some members use them just in the way you said it ive never used one but alot of other members have with great success

I had one befor they are really not needed thoumine is sitting in the closet now as far as ich buy from a store the qurintens there fish for algee rodi baby they are dumb they kill off good stuff like pods

I had one for years, but finally gave up on it as the maintenance was pretty high and as I run a open system without a particulate filter (trying to keep filter feeder sources circulating) I was concerned I was doing more damage to the beneficial stuff than I was in eliminating waterborne parasites.

I run mine 24/7 and my tank is loaded with pods,I think that is a old wives tail.The tanks are clearer(IMO)that run them compared to those that don't.

I wasn't worried about pods, I was more interested in keeping the stuff the filter feeders utilize being kept intact in the water column. I want some particulates in the water, which I have. The water has never been cloudy or yellow, so that hasn't been an issue. I know there are plenty of people that use UV continuously, but I haven't seen any ICH in my tank for over 10 years, so I don't see the point in my case. I do believe a large number of filter feeders like I have must reduce the spore population. But the biologists among us might be able to clarify.

Back
Top Bottom