uv sterlizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmkx3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do uv sterlizers also kill your pods and micro fauna? I know they kill parasites like ick. The reason I ask is because I used to see alot of these little buggers at night but now that I have a uv I am not seeing as many

They do kill good stuff also (ie; pods) that's why most people don't use them.

Some people feel the extra clear water and no bad stuff is worth it though

In most setups it's not an issue since the pods cultivate lower in the tank within the lr and sand and the UV is typically taking water from the surface. If pods enter the UV they won't make it though.

Do you still have your green mandarin?

IME pods decrease/increase in cycles and some months it seems like they are EVERYWHERE and others I have to go looking for them at night. If you still have the mandarin then you will need to make sure you still have pods unless it's one of the few that takes frozen.

Thanks, great link!!!!!! Yes, I still have my mandrin. He is very active and picking at the rocks. I assume he is eating pods. I am in the process of setting up a hob fuge. How do I cultivate my pods in there? What is cheato and where do you get it?

As long as they have a place to hide/breed (lr rubble/cheato) and you provide a food source (phytoplankton) they will thrive. www.advancedaquarist.com has a great article on it.

Cheato is Chaetomorpha Algae and Liveaquaria sells it if you don't know anyone locally that can give you some.

Back
Top Bottom