UV warming up tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I hooked up a 40W UV to my system this weekend. I am using a Mag 5 pump to run it (500 GPH).
My tank temp has risen to 84 degrees (usually runs 81). I shut of my heater(thought it may have gotten stuck) with no effect on the temp. Can a UV have this effect on a system this size? Or maybe a bad pump?
I am going to shut down the UV for the night and see what happens.
All of my animals seem fine, but I would feel better getting that down a degree or 2.
Any opinions?

That seems like a lot in a 210, but I guess it could be possible with the new light and new pump both creating heat.... I had a 25 watt and a rio on my 125 and it did not raise the temp up.
How about a fan on the sump..... Do you have another pump to try out and see if its the pump. Good luck.
what brand UV did u get.

i agree with seachem, open the doors add a fan see if that cools it down if it does u know thats where the heat is coming from

Thanks guys. I've been pondering this (yes and getting no work done).
I am now running 3 pumps in my sump, one for the UV, one for the skimmer and one monster for my main water flow. (you can see my sump area in my gallery).
I have the feeling thats the problem and I need all 3 so they can't go. I also have a glass top on the tank. I'm going to take out part of the glass top, replace it with eggcrate and see if that helps.
Also gonna check to see if I may have a pump running too hot.
If that doesn't do it, I will consider the fan but the only place I could run it is below by the sump.
I know 84 isn't critical, but I prefer not to skate a thin line.

mags do use the water around them to cool themselves. What is the manufactuers suggested flow rate thru the UV unit? Is 500GPH at the low end of that recommendation or at the high end?

The UV light itself should nto be warming up the water unless its a) malfunctioning or b) misconfigured (ie to slow water flow).

Is the water flow a fast 500GPH or is ther mayb ea tube someplace crimped thats cuasing the output to be lower. If you put your hand over the ouetlet does the water feel warm?

Well, that may be the problem. The high end is 3000, for maximum efficiency, 1250 GPH. At 500 it may be heating up the water. The tubing is not crimped anywhere and the outflow temp measured the same.
I shut it down over and hour ago and the temp droped from 84.9 down to 84.4. None of my pumps feel warmer than usual.
Its a UV by pondmaster, maybe its too much for my system (or too much for the mag).
I do have a 950 GPH extra pump laying around. If this proves to be the problem, maybe I'll try it.

Back
Top Bottom