Vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trk1616

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Curious as to what you guys do for your tank when you are gone over a weekend or on vacation. I've seen those automatic feeders...do you trust them, or have the neighbor come by and check on the tank?

I'm wondering too, and we go on vacation for 2 weeks or more at a time. My mom knows how to take care of my betta tank, but I'd like to know before I start a SW tank -- how do you arrange for care when you're gone for a while? I think the automatic feeder would be the least of my worries...I would worry about the calcium and magnesium and alkalinity getting out of balance. I don't think my mom would like to deal with that. Maybe an aquarium service?

Neighbor most definately. The boys have a list and know to call me if anything is out of whack.

The temp should be 79. The level in the refugium should be inbetween 2 pieces of electrical tape I stuck on it. The level in the overflow should be between a different 2 pieces of tape.

They also count fish for me.

I make daily bags of food. I don't let them pick how much to feed.

MantisFreak said:
Neighbor most definately. The boys have a list and know to call me if anything is out of whack.

The temp should be 79. The level in the refugium should be inbetween 2 pieces of electrical tape I stuck on it. The level in the overflow should be between a different 2 pieces of tape.

They also count fish for me.

I make daily bags of food. I don't let them pick how much to feed.

Thats good thinking, I would prepare as much as possible before leaving so whoever is taking care of your tank has very little to mess up especially if they are not very experienced with SW Tanks.

An t-iasg said:
...I would worry about the calcium and magnesium and alkalinity getting out of balance.

This hasn't happened yet. I have RO/DI topoff water with buffer in it ready for them to add if necessary. I discontinue Kalk. Unless it is for a whole week, I don't even have them add my 2 part B-Ionic.

I would say one of the most important things is to measure out how much food your fish get daily like was mentioned earlier. I read in here a while ago that somone used one of those daily vitamine containers (the ones with little containers for each day of the week) to keep a specified ammount of food for the fish. This way, all the friend/neighbor has to do is pop open the top and dump it in.

An t-iasg said:
...I would worry about the calcium and magnesium and alkalinity getting out of balance.

This hasn't happened yet. I have RO/DI topoff water with buffer in it ready for them to add if necessary. I discontinue Kalk. Unless it is for a whole week, I don't even have them add my 2 part B-Ionic.

You should have your neighbor come over to let your dog out and to feed your fish.

Maybe he should feed your cat too.

Back
Top Bottom