Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2003, 05:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to trk1616
Vacation

Curious as to what you guys do for your tank when you are gone over a weekend or on vacation. I've seen those automatic feeders...do you trust them, or have the neighbor come by and check on the tank?

Old 11-10-2003, 05:21 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I'm wondering too, and we go on vacation for 2 weeks or more at a time. My mom knows how to take care of my betta tank, but I'd like to know before I start a SW tank -- how do you arrange for care when you're gone for a while? I think the automatic feeder would be the least of my worries...I would worry about the calcium and magnesium and alkalinity getting out of balance. I don't think my mom would like to deal with that. Maybe an aquarium service?

Old 11-10-2003, 05:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Neighbor most definately. The boys have a list and know to call me if anything is out of whack.

The temp should be 79. The level in the refugium should be inbetween 2 pieces of electrical tape I stuck on it. The level in the overflow should be between a different 2 pieces of tape.

They also count fish for me.

I make daily bags of food. I don't let them pick how much to feed.
MantisFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 05:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisFreak
Neighbor most definately. The boys have a list and know to call me if anything is out of whack.

The temp should be 79. The level in the refugium should be inbetween 2 pieces of electrical tape I stuck on it. The level in the overflow should be between a different 2 pieces of tape.

They also count fish for me.

I make daily bags of food. I don't let them pick how much to feed.
Thats good thinking, I would prepare as much as possible before leaving so whoever is taking care of your tank has very little to mess up especially if they are not very experienced with SW Tanks.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by An t-iasg
...I would worry about the calcium and magnesium and alkalinity getting out of balance.
This hasn't happened yet. I have RO/DI topoff water with buffer in it ready for them to add if necessary. I discontinue Kalk. Unless it is for a whole week, I don't even have them add my 2 part B-Ionic.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would say one of the most important things is to measure out how much food your fish get daily like was mentioned earlier. I read in here a while ago that somone used one of those daily vitamine containers (the ones with little containers for each day of the week) to keep a specified ammount of food for the fish. This way, all the friend/neighbor has to do is pop open the top and dump it in.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by An t-iasg
...I would worry about the calcium and magnesium and alkalinity getting out of balance.
This hasn't happened yet. I have RO/DI topoff water with buffer in it ready for them to add if necessary. I discontinue Kalk. Unless it is for a whole week, I don't even have them add my 2 part B-Ionic.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

You should have your neighbor come over to let your dog out and to feed your fish.

Maybe he should feed your cat too.

Tags
vacation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com