Vacation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Supra

Aquarium Advice Freak
IM going away memorial day for 4 days. I don't know anyone else in my area that would have any idea how to watch my tank. my biggest concerns are salinity ( I could set an ato soon and make sure it works in the next two wks) , heater, overflow ( I have a single ghetto over flow, that I plan on updating when I go bigger, but for now I just watch it and make sure it doesn't clog up) , hammer coral ( it falls out of its spot now and then and I have to re-install it) I was thinking of hiring a company possibly to watch it while away, or am I just over thinking this? Should I just get a friend to feed and I'll set up ato?
Thanks supra

I'd get a friend to help out.
Last time I went on vacation, I wrote everything down, for our house sitter.
Tell them how much to top off, or draw a line, Fill to here.
Separate out your food into little compartments, like a pill holder thing, one compartment per day or every other day. To avoid over feeding.
I also made a trouble shooting guide. If this happens, this is what to do.
I also labeled all switches.
With the skimmer, I set it to a really dry skim, to be safe.
I would make a daily checklist, check overflow, top off, feed, etc..
It's def nerve wracking, but doing all this made me feel much better. I went to Jamaica for 8 days, and returned to the same tank I had left.

1 problem! All my friends are idiots, it's also memorial day weekend, and they will most likely be either hung over or drunk! Lol
Supra

Yeah... Well that could pose a problem. :)
That's hilarious!!
Try to make it as idiot-proof as you can.
A service would prob charge you like $100 or so, don't know, and they could be almost as bad.

Ya I was thinking, for the price of the service, I could throw a couple hundred more on and get an apex or rkl.

Yeah, but you'll still need an ATO, and have to have it all dialed in.
Feeding would still be a prob too.
Maybe someone from a LFS, could help you out. Anyone you've developed a trust with that way?

No unfortunately, I'll probably set up the ato this week and keep an eye on it. Just rely on someone to feed

I set up the ato, it was working great. I messed with my return and intake, now I have a siphon problem.( sump fluctuates up Nd down messing up my ato, I know its a siphon issue) so I set up a drip ato. If I can't get it dialed in by thur. ( the day I leave) should I set salinity low (.024) just to be safe? I'm only going away for 4 days
Supra

When I recently went away for four days, I used the tunze ATO and the eheim dual auto feeder. My ATO has a 5 gallon bucket that I filled to the rim. The feeder I use daily anyway to feed the fish 3 different times. I told the house/dog sitters they did not need to do anything to the tank and if anything died,take it out but don't buy a new one as everything new needed to be quarantined.

I measured out the food for the fish in the QT, and labeled them for each day. Had the lights on QT on a timer.

I'd go with the top off and auto feeder with some good quality food. 4 days isnt that long they'll be fine with whatever dry food you put in.

I told the house/dog sitters they did not need to do anything to the tank and if anything died,take it out but don't buy a new one as everything new needed to be quarantined.

Why would the house sitter/ dog sitter buy a new fish :facepalm:

it's not there responsibility ,

I could see pull out dead one ,

sorry that was just left wide open (y)

your salinity will be fine for 4 days
timers on lights
auto feeder
they will be better of on auto pilot than trusting them to someone who don't know nothing about your system ,
and your fish will be safer without someone 1/2 plastered into the next world:hide::D:cool:

54seaweed said:
Why would the house sitter/ dog sitter buy a new fish :facepalm:

it's not there responsibility ,

I could see pull out dead one ,

sorry that was just left wide open (y)

your salinity will be fine for 4 days
timers on lights
auto feeder
they will be better of on auto pilot than trusting them to someone who don't know nothing about your system ,
and your fish will be safer without someone 1/2 plastered into the next world:hide::D:cool:

My house sitters are just the kind of people that would think to replace a fish if it died. If I had not told them, something surely would have died and they would have put a new one in.

Wow those are some good house keepers
But I still say your better off on auto pilot
either way wish you and your fish the best
I have left tanks on auto pilot 7 days no fatality s just a bit dirty tank and cloudy water but all was good , thats when I lived on east coast and had to evacuate , due to hurricanes Bertha and Fran Glad I had a battery back up

Back
Top Bottom