Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-15-2004, 07:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

OK OK OK.....I knew something was going to happen the question was just what.... We went away for two weeks and left our tank in the hands of someone who really doesn't know much about saltwater tanks. We prayed and hoped that if he could just feed the fish and top off the water that everything would be ok.....

Well everything is not ok.....luckily its just a fish only tank so no corals or anything were damaged. Unluckily we lost two fish.... First to go was one of two clowns....hes actually MIA so we are just assuming he died and was eaten by the shrimp and crabs....Second to go was our cleaner wrasse we knew he died but not of what cause as we walked through the door we saw one of our shrimp toting the dead carcass around. very very sad thing to see..........Now as we look deeper it seems that our other clown looks dirty....he has these white spots..bubbles maybe? all over him...It just looks like algae or something... Here is a picture its the best I could get and I had to lighten it up a lot... Please tell me if its something to be worried about....He seems to be eating great and swimming around fine. Also checked the levels and did a huge water change and everything is right where it should be. Thanks in advance.

Leahdanilalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 08:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Repost the pic it didn't come through.
Oh, don't tell me this. We are going to Cozumel for 2 weeks in July and I have a neighborhood kid (the only one I could find) to care for my tank.
He is going to go through 2 evenings of training and my lfs owner says he will come out it there are any problems, the kid will have his phone number.
Now I am worried.
Sorry for your losses.

quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 10:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to lad2knowu
My Wife and I went to Oregon for 2 weeks a little over a year ago and left my Stepdaughter in charge of feeding and topping off the tank. I had left several 1 Gal. containers of RO water for her to top off with. (gave her detailed instructions) Well when we returned, my tank floor looked like mud 8O . An explosion of Diatom! No losses however. Her answer was.. " Oh, thats what those jugs of water was for?" She had added tap water. fortunately I had everything under control in a couple of weeks. I am very sorry to hear of your loss.
lad2knowu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 01:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
One of my clowns is starting to get black spots on his body, however he seems fine. I know that clowns darken as they mature, perhaps thats what is going on. Sorry to hear about your trouble, im leaving next week for 7 or 8 days. I have left my tank twice for three days, but never that long, im really nervous.
Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com