Vacuum sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaTricia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys! It has been 2years since I set up my reef tank. As usual with a reef, I've had my ups and downs. I thought I was over the crazy algae thing, but in the last few months I've had red turf, GHA, and now a bit of red cyano. We used to vacuum out the sump once a month, but now I have "baby" brittle stars in there and I know they're good for the tank. Should I still vacuum?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

How bad is it in there? Are you catching stuff with filter socks? If there's nothing before the sump, then the odds are it's loaded with gunk and will need to be vacuumed. Yes, you'll kill off a lot of life.

I don't use filter socks. The tank is a JBJ 28 gallon cube. There is a lot back there, including life that will be a shame to kill. I just need to get the tank a little more stable and get rid of the cyano. It's not much, but vacuuming gives me a chance to clean it up a little more. Just wondering if it was appropriate to do it. I've been vacuuming the sand a tiny bit at a time to get rid of it, but over two years of siphoning occasionally, my 3" sand bed is less than 1". I have some aragonite that I need to rinse to bring the bed back up. I have three Nass snails in there and they're trying to keep covered. Not sure I can figure how to get it in there in the nooks and crannies without starting a sandstorm. But I guess the first thing I need to do is clean that sump. Thanks for replying.

You need to increase flow in the tank if you are getting a lot of detritus build up on the sand bed. Nassarius snails aren't going to help with that. They are carnivores. I've never seen them eat a piece of fish poop.

I have two Koralia 425's, but apparently the way I aqua scaped the tank 2 years ago, I can't get flow in all areas. Boy, would I have done things differently if I knew what I do now. (Ever heard that one?). I move the powerheads all over. I also have pumps at 266 gph, hooked to a wave maker, but have both going at the same time now to increase flow. And I knew Nass snails wouldn't eat poop, just dead stuff and food I put in there. They always come up for that.

Is it ok to put thoroughly rinsed aragonite sand on top of sand that has been in there for 2 years in order to raise the sand bed? If so, the best way to do it? Thanks!

I got a text that said Mr.X had responded, but I see no recent response. Maybe I don't understand how this all works. Educate me, please?

Well if you vacume the sand you could add it when your doing water changes so it mixes in. If its real clean that should be fine. To add sand you can use a peice of pvc pipe that you put down to the sand line and then add it htough the other end. If you just dump it in it will make a mess.

I'd do a little at a time. Like I dont know, half a cup a week and mix it in.

For the sump, if you see gunk I'd vacume it out. Do you have a wet/dry shop vac? Use that and then add new water...

Just some tips I guess.

Animal-chin, your suggestions are well taken. I had planned to vacuum the sump today per Mr.X. I will also take your suggestion on how to put sand in. I wouldn't even do that, but my Nass snails are having trouble staying under it because I've siphoned so much off in two years getting rid of problems (cyano). Thanks for responding.

Oh, and I do have a shop vac and I made 20 gallons do water, though I know I won't need that much. The tank is only 28 gallons. :)

I had a 30 gallon tank and I sucked up all the old sand to get rid of dino's. It took 2 water changes and I was back to bare bottom. I then bought new sand and using a small bowl I would slowly submerge it (half filled with sand) and gently tip it when I was at the bottom of the tank. Didn't make much mess and I replaced my entire sand bed. Thats an option too if your 2 year old sand is really gunky but just remember you're going to be stiring stuff into the water so be prepared to change a lot of water out...

You can also use a length of PVC pipe and a funnel. Put the PVC in down to the bottom and then slowly pour the sand in the top. Works really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok, thank you. Sounds like I will need help to hold the PVC, funnel, put the sand in the funnel and direct it in the right place.

I would also add small amounts of new sand to cover the old, just to keep whatever life is in the sand alive, and to give the critters time to move upwards towards the surface. As for the nassarius snails, they don't need sand to hide in, they just prefer it. I've seen them in bare bottom tanks on occasion. While I wouldn't say it's an ideal situation, they didn't die.

I didn't know that about Nass snails. I won't worry so much. But I will put a little sand at a time.

Back
Top Bottom