Vacuuming, Anyone do it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefbound

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just like the title says,does anyone vacuum the substrate on your tanks to remove some of the ditrius (sp)? or is this a bad thing.

I have LS substrate in my tanks so I do not. If you use CC, however, vacuuming is a good maintanance practice.

But what I am ment was just the very top layer of the sand bed and if anyone knows why this would hurt your tank please tell us. HTH

I've debated doing it. I only have a 1" to 1.5" sand depth, but I still have been leary. I think I'm gonna start. It looks much better.

Thast`s what the clean up crew is for. My Gobies take care of the sand for me

I have Aragonite for my substrate and numerous snails for the task but, when I was doing a water change I hit the bed with the hose and all this junk came out into the bucket so it had me thinking do I or don't I.

If you use CC, however, vacuuming is a good maintanance practice.

Agreed
I did when I had CC, and didn't have any problems. It was just a pain. THe CC would look really dirty.

I have a very shallow livesand bed of about 1 inch, maybe not even, because i don't like the look of a DSB. I vacuum the sand everytime i do a water change and there are no ill effects on the tank. I think its a must if u dont have a DSB. A lot of waste accumulates in the substrate even with a cleanup crew.

I dont know because I have 1 to 2 inches in mine and have never vacuumed mine in over 8 yrs. But I do have 2 gobies that non stop sift mine every day so I have not needed to. I dont believe it is a must it just depends on what type of clean up crew you have.

Yea, sand sifting gobies usually take care of the sandbed. If u have one, IMO, the dirtier the sandbed, the happier the goby lol, so no need to vaccum it.

FishFrik said:
Yea, sand sifting gobies usually take care of the sandbed. If u have one, IMO, the dirtier the sandbed, the happier the goby lol, so no need to vaccum it.

What about an Aragonite bed,not quite sand but not crushed coral eighter?

That`s what I have is aragonite. I call it sand. I guess I`ll have to start calling it by the right term. Sorry.

I say go for it but do it in small sections. Good to stir up the sand bed and release any bad gasses and waster products but it must be done in moderation so as not to spike th tank. Also sand siftign snails and sea stars and critters taht dig are great to have so that they can clean the sand an arate it as well.

Aragonite is sand. It just comes in different sizes.

Back
Top Bottom