Valentini Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Umpa Lumpa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A local fish store has one, and I want it!!!! I'm just worried that it might not get along with my clown and my two hermits. Anybody have an experince with them?

A 30G is a little small for that puffer but it might be ok. It should get along fine with the clown but will probably eat your hermits.

tripper

The valentini only maxes out at 4" and would be fine in a 30g. So long as it was by itself. Your sig says you also have an angelfish in there. I wouldn't risk it. From what I've read, they are one of the nippier puffers. And, your hermit may or may not become potential food for it.

ive never had a problem with mine bothering hermits but it will atack "true crabs" mine has also never bitten any fins even though its been kept with yellow tangs,sailfin tangs and cardinals but in a 30g i would pick something smaller/ or at least different

i've got a valentini and a clown together in a 20 g. w/ 40-50 lbs of LR and they get along just fine. the valentini has never nipped at him or gone after him, even when the little clown rips food right out of his mouth.

i have snails and hermits in there and he's left them alone. when i first put him in my tank he immediately, like within 10 seconds, went for a snail and i thought, oh no, they're all going to die, but all he did was nudge it and he's never touched one since. i feed my tank every 2-3 days and the valentini still leaves everything alone.

mchief said:
i've got a valentini and a clown together in a 20 g. w/ 40-50 lbs of LR and they get along just fine. the valentini has never nipped at him or gone after him, even when the little clown rips food right out of his mouth.

i have snails and hermits in there and he's left them alone. when i first put him in my tank he immediately, like within 10 seconds, went for a snail and i thought, oh no, they're all going to die, but all he did was nudge it and he's never touched one since. i feed my tank every 2-3 days and the valentini still leaves everything alone.

I think time will tell if this experiment is successful or not. That's tight quarters and you may see problems down the road. Good luck.

i've had the valentini for a month and so far things have been fine. my valentini is pretty passive. my clown is tiny, 1.5", the valentini is about 2-2.5"

i've got a 75g i can always transfer him to if need be

That puffer will be fine with the fish you have. I had one for several years with a bicolor angel and clowns, SFE and other fish with no problems. He would peck at the snails once in a while but there is no way one of those little guys is gonna break through a shell. Cool little fish..

Back
Top Bottom