Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2004, 12:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Vanishing salinity

My tank seems to be eating its salt. Thirty gallon tank with 25 or so pounds of live rock. Bubble tip anenome, velvet clown, emerald crab, couple margarita snails and a few hermit crabs, feather duster ... um....I seem to be leaving something out...but I'm sure it will come to me as soon as I post this. Typical little things peeking their heads out of the rock that I have yet to identify.. BUT ANYWAY...

The salinity seems to be dropping everytime I check the tank. Although the water level is staying put. I had thought of adding salt in small quantities to unoccupied areas of the tank so it would disperse but my wife thought she'd heard that was bad...to pull water out..mix it and pour it back in.

Please don't tell me she was right yet again although what she's saying sounds more proper....

Old 04-26-2004, 12:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
You never want to dump salt mix directly to your tank. IMO mixing the salt for 24hrs before adding to you tank is best.

I don't know how the SG of your tank could be "using" salt. The only way salt leaves the aquarium is when you manually do a water change. What are you using to measure the amount of salt in your water?

Old 04-26-2004, 01:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have any salt creep perhaps? Do you see any visible buildup of crystals on your lid, tank walls, etc?
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 12:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sorry for the delay...

Salt creep....definitely. And in kind of an odd occurrence...it seems to be collecting on the bottom rim of the tank. Makes me wonder if it's starting to leak.

I use a floating hydrometer-thermometer combo dealy. It seems to work pretty well.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:38 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
I use a floating hydrometer-thermometer combo dealy
These can be unreliable.
Take a sample of your water to the LFS and have them check the salinity/specific gravity to see if it matches your readings.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to nutrak
yeah the wife was right. you should know better than to doubt her by now. the last time i second guessed my girlfriend...not only was i wrong, i almost killed my tank!
Old 05-04-2004, 12:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
You would actually be better off adding a little salt to your topoff water instead of mixing some salt with tank water. The salt will mix a lot better.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to luntiz
Re: Sorry for the delay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42jeff
Salt creep....definitely. And in kind of an odd occurrence...it seems to be collecting on the bottom rim of the tank. Makes me wonder if it's starting to leak.
I have that same problem, should we be worried?
Old 05-04-2004, 01:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemoneman
Quote:
I use a floating hydrometer-thermometer combo dealy
These can be unreliable.
Take a sample of your water to the LFS and have them check the salinity/specific gravity to see if it matches your readings.
Thats not always the case, tho..cause the ones I have around me use a cheap hydrometer to test, so theres no garuntee they'll be right either.

Tags
salinity

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com