Variety Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaliGal

Aquarium Advice Activist
Happy Friday everybody! Need some brainstorming done.

I have a beautiful little Scopus and a large Purple Tang in my tank. Also a gorgeous Flame Angel finds its home here. I keep several lettuce clips filled with snacks for these guys during lightson.

When I placed a cucumber into a clip and saw the fish barraging the cuke, I wondered if other kinds of veggies and possibly fruits would attract the fish. I have been adding peeled grapes recently... these guys love them (and I notice the rest of the fish gather to eat tiny pieces cast off as the Tangs and Angel break off a piece). Well, if a grape was accepted, what about say... a banana slice.

Gracious, I offered banana and these guys torn into the banana like they were starved (which, promise, they are not. I feed 4 times a day because I host Anthias). As I watched the banana feast it occurred to me possibly bananas are not good for these guys... what if I was offering them poison, in disguise. So quickly, I removed the remaining banana and headed to my computer to post this question.

Anywhere is there documented a NO NO food list to offer fish in the form of fresh produce? Any of you tried a variety of foods with success? Any feedback, please share it.

So glad you all are there!

Sue

Hey Sue, I don't know the answer to your question, but I will post my opinion on the matter :D , I agree with feeding your fish green leafy vegetables. I agree with feeding your fish foods that contain the vitamins and minerals they need, basically, vitamin C is vitamin C no matter where it comes from... However, I do try to feed my fish food from the ocean. I wouldn't feed my fish any fruits, I am not saying it's bad, just that I don't know if it's bad or not, so until proven otherwise...If I had to guess, Id say most fruits are OK, but I really don't know.

Bananas may be excellent food for Saltwater fish, same with grapes. I have absolutely no knowledge either way. I would never recommend a food so unnatural for a Saltwater fish though. My first thought was Goldfish & Lionfish. The Lionfish go absolutely ga ga (technical term) over Goldfish but they are absolutely terrible food for them. My next though was 15 year olds and Big Macs... etc. ;)

Although I'm really intrigued about the effects and any possible benefits you may see I will still be recommending against all terrestrial food for Saltwater fish until I see hard facts about their benefits.

I am not so confident as to recommend against Broccoli or Cucumber, or even Bananas. But if some one asks I would recommend they stick to food that originated in saltwater.

Please keep us updated though!!

I feed the following combo of foods on a semi rotating schedule.

Flake
Frozen brine
Zooplankton
Frozen Prime Reef
Algae strips

Thanks guys... consider this your update. You all make total sense. I very much accept the notion of feeding the fishes things found in their world. Very possibly fruits are more like candy. Sure do not want to promote rotten teeth... or gills. =]

So, until anyone should cross with facts showing otherwise, I will go back to leafy veggies and squash.

Sue

I am too much of a novice to agree/disagree with anyone. But here are my thoughts on the matter, (some references are to fresh water fish).
My BGK eats beef heart, a recommended food for him. Last time I looked, cows were a land critter.

The reference books on marine fish list the foods each one eats, many times I see broccoli and leaf lettuce, neither of these are saltwater grown vegetables. I think the idea that it should come from the ocean is most likely a good one, but I also think that feeding vegetables on a limited basis should not be ruled out as a viable alternative....

Hara brings to mind another question I have been tossing around... that is, how much is too much.

During lightson I attempt to keep a piece of vitamin soaked nori (seaweed) in a lettuce clip for my crew. I usually have to refill this clip once or twice during their day. In a second clip, I have a piece of lettuce (parboiled) or a slice of squash or cuke. I find my Tangs, especially, nibble on one or the other offerings all the time.

Now I'm wondering if I might be providing too much extra food. Of course, there are regular fish feedings going on during the day as well. Any thoughts, guys?

Sue

Back
Top Bottom