varying bulb types in a reef aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That might be where we are differing at because I`m talking VHO and I guess you are talking MH`s. I have no experience with MH`s. So is what you are saying Larry the same for all lighting or just MH`s?
Mike, it's pretty much any aquarium bulb from about 6500k up. Take a look at these spectral graphs and notice how they all spike in the 400 range. That's all the blue light corals need. All the "extra" blue from actinics is "eye candy". :)

yea so from what ive learned, the 10k bulbs provide a range more than what the corals need; while actinics are used mainly for a little supplementation, but is mainly to enhance the appearance of coral coloration

Not so my friend, this is a Quote by Dr. Timothy A. Hovanec:
"To have a successful reef aquarium, adequate light is absolutely required. Reef tanks contain soft and hard corals which harbor zooxanthellae. The zooxanthellae (symbiotic algae) must thrive in order for the coral to live. To do this they need the correct amount of light (intensity) at the right wavelength (peak absorption). Actinic lights provide a concentrated light wavelength that promotes photosynthesis. If only actinic lamps are used, however, the water color in the tank will be very blue which is not visually appealing and the light is not intensive enough for the other processes of the aquarium inhabitants. Therefore a reef tank should have a combination of one actinic lamp and one or two daylight lamps for each 30 gallons of water. The daylight lamp can be either a metal halide bulb or daylight fluorescent lamp (preferably HO or VHO). The color temperature of the bulb or lamp should be 5,000 to 6,000K." I differ with the Dr. in that the color temp. of the other bulbs should be 10,000K-20,000K.

Last edited:
Not so my friend, this is a Quote by Dr. Timothy A. Hovanec:
"To have a successful reef aquarium, adequate light is absolutely required. Reef tanks contain soft and hard corals which harbor zooxanthellae. The zooxanthellae (symbiotic algae) must thrive in order for the coral to live. To do this they need the correct amount of light (intensity) at the right wavelength (peak absorption). Actinic lights provide a concentrated light wavelength that promotes photosynthesis. If only actinic lamps are used, however, the water color in the tank will be very blue which is not visually appealing and the light is not intensive enough for the other processes of the aquarium inhabitants. Therefore a reef tank should have a combination of one actinic lamp and one or two daylight lamps for each 30 gallons of water. The daylight lamp can be either a metal halide bulb or daylight fluorescent lamp (preferably HO or VHO). The color temperature of the bulb or lamp should be 5,000 to 6,000K." I differ with the Dr. in that the color temp. of the other bulbs should be 10,000K-20,000K.

circa 1998

The Correct Lighting for Your Aquarium

Yep...very old article by todays standards. It knew it was old just by his mention of 5k-6k mh bulbs. Those are what I used back in the early 90's as that was all that was available back then.

For good measure, here's another pic of a tank run only on 10k mh bulbs with no actinics. This is Sanjays home reef tank. ;)
full-tank-1-082808.gif

Last edited:
I knew Tim's article was old, but to say that actinic's where only for ecstatic purposes only would be a gross misjudgement. IMO

Back
Top Bottom