Velocity Silent water pump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nelson4u

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone use a Velocity silent pump from custom Sea Life ? I want a very quiet external pump to pump about 1300 GPH. I have heard that centrifugal pumps like this will heat up your water. Is this true ? If so what other very quiet pumps do you recommend ? MIKE

i have a velocity and yes it is super quiet it is an external pump so i do not know how much it affects the water temp i can tell you that it is hot to the touch.

Hi,

I have used quite a few different external pumps. My experiences with the CS T4 pumps have been very good. However, as you mentioned, they are not thermo-isolated from the water flow and as a result increase the tank temperature by a few degrees when the ambient temperature is about 70 deg. F.

They are extrordinarily quiet. Only 30db of sound and you have to put your ear about 6 inches from the pump before you hear anything - this is really pretty incredible.

I have also used the Ampmaster - this is a close second in terms of quietness but has the added advantage of being Termo-isolated. For all intents and purposes these pumps will not have a temperature affect on your water. They also are probably the most effecient pumps I have come across (about 100 watts for 3000 gph flow). The big drawback - you must use 1.5" plumbing. If you are using 1 inch plumbing the flow rate is cut in half.

Also - you may want to check the BlueLine HD seriese - these are also supposed to be pretty quiet, but still, I don't think anything will beat the CS T4 in this respect.

HTH

Tom

Lor How big of a tank are you using the pump for ? How long have you used it ? Are you saying that you have not noticed your water temp. rising ? Thanks, MIKE

Thanks Tom,
I am also interested in the Ampmaster, but I am wondering if I am wasting a good pump by reducing the 1.5" plumbing down to 3/4" ? It will be pumping through a canister Ocean Clear filter and UV sterilizer and then back up 2 feet to the bottom of tank. I figure I will need a pump to do 10' head @ about 800 GHP to turn my tank 7 times per hour. Will the Ampmaster 2700 or 3000 handle this? Also I know on there website it says 1" pipe reduces flow 40% but this filter and UV uses 3/4 fittings. Will it still work ?Thanks, MIKE

Back
Top Bottom