Velvet and live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I am fairly certain I'm having an issue with velvet in my saltwater tank and have lost both a yellow tang and a mccoskers Wrasse to it. I've decided to treat the tank with copper after pulling the live rock and substrate out. My question, what's the easiest way to get velvet off of live rock? So far I've considered baking it, freezing it (it should work on ich not sure about velvet), bleaching it, or letting it dry out.

Currently I'm drying it out but am wondering how long that would take. Would anyone have a better suggestion or should I try a different option?

If I have a FOWLR I would just treat the DT with copper instead of removing LR and disinfecting it outside by other means. I would be starting all over again anyway so why not just treat them all together in the tank? When treatment is complete you can remove copper in the tank with activated carbon filter media.

If I have a FOWLR I would just treat the DT with copper instead of removing LR and disinfecting it outside by other means. I would be starting all over again anyway so why not just treat them all together in the tank? When treatment is complete you can remove copper in the tank with activated carbon filter media.

I would, but it's going to be turned into a reef tank after the copper treatment is done. I have a 20g tank full of coral waiting to be switched over. With everyone scared of anything that has been treated with copper coming into contact with a reef tank I figured some extra precautions would be a good step.

Just out of curiosity how does velvet grt intoroduced into a tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't hear to much about it. So it must not happen to often?

More often than people want... But it does have the potential to wipe out a tank.

I looked it up and saw there is about no way to treat ot in fish so how do you stop it from spreading if you quarantine that fish that shows signs? Would garlic help or is there anything else?

It follows a similar life cycle to ich. It'll infect the fish, drop off and multiply, then break out of its protective shell and reinfect fish. Copper treats it but there's quite a few different meds that will treat it as well.

Okay thanks for the info.

I would keep the tank fish less for 4/6 weeks. I had it at a school tank and removed the fish and let it sit for six weeks and all is fine now.

Thats a good article

I would keep the tank fish less for 4/6 weeks. I had it at a school tank and removed the fish and let it sit for six weeks and all is fine now.

The tank that is infected with velvet is currently being treated with copper. My problem is what's the best way to treat the live rock that I pulled out of the tank to make sure it isn't reintroduced.

I gound this video when I searched for marine velvet on youtube.

Back
Top Bottom