Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2003, 06:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

hummmm i can try that wouldnt hurt drilling right into the casing on the pump its self and see it it would pull air and if not the jb weld it closed hehehe thanks ive been working on this and finally gave up and need to ask someone but thought i was smart enough!! guess not though lol should see me drive wait till im 50 mile out of route sometimes before i stop and ask for directions lolol a guy thang i guess

Old 11-01-2003, 06:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

that big huh ?? hum might cut a foot off it then and see what it does then !!

Old 11-01-2003, 07:03 PM   #13

Oh I was guessing on the Mag 12 thing, It just seems like a lot of back pressure.. Just curius, do you have the skimmer on a 3/4 return to the sump?
Old 11-01-2003, 08:14 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
You can use the Maxi Jet venturi on a Mag Drive pump. Premium Aquatics sells them for less than $5.00. You'll have to add a couple of PVC fittings to get a tight fit though. Or...you can get a Kent venturi in 1/2" or 3/4" for less than $20.00. Or...see my posts in the DIY forum on a DIY venturi. It actually worked quite well. I agree with Timbo though that you need a pretty strong pump for that size skimmer. If you DIY an air intake into the pump inlet, you should also plumb in a regeneration line which will recirculate some of the air/water mix through the impeller...you'll get finer bubbles that way. IMO, the venturi on the pressure side of the pump is the best way to go. It will require less adjustment and will give you better flow. My DIY venturi is made from readily available parts from Lowes and requires about 20 minutes to assemble with minimal mods to the parts. I'll try to dig up the post and edit it in here for you. EDIT: Here it is:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...913&highlight=diy+venturi

Tags
missing, venturi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com