VERY HIGH NitrAtes what do I do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GT96

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just tested my water and my Nitrates are 80 and I've never had this problem, my water is always close to 0. I havn't done a water change in a while- (Xmas) how do I lower the nitrates. please write me back soon. thanks

Try reducing your feeding schedule, check for accumulation of mum & detrius and siphon out & do a 10% water change for 10 consecutive days to bring down your nitrates. 80ppm in a FO tank is not critical, but never the less, you should try to bring it down as much as you can. I've found that most hardy fish can survive in high nitrates up to 100ppm and a little bit over in a FO tank, but you subject them to stress and possibly HLLE and lateral Line disease.

decayed uneaten food, fish & invertebrate poop (snails poop a lot) that accumulate around and under coral decorations & LR.

If it was my tank that was at 80ppm I would do large water changes (20%-30%) every day 'til the levels were down to acceptable, as well as cutting feeding back. If you do the changes carefully (keep your biofilter wet) and quickly there should be little bacteria loss.

The beneficial bacteria adhere to surfaces more than they float around in the water.

oops, realized this is SW, my info may be off. :oops:

ok, I did a 25% water change and I am waiting for my fish to settle down and then I will test it

The key is to do multiple water changes consecutively. 10% makes the chore simple & does not shock the inhabitants as much as say a 40% water change. One large water change & none afterwards will not bring your nitrates down from 80 ppm to acceptable levels.

For longer term control a refugium with some macro algae will make the problem harder to replicate. I have the Aquafuge HOT from CPR Aquatics and like it. I agree with the 25-30% changes.

Back
Top Bottom