Very high salinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swicicki

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's official. I'm stupid

I just realized the hydrometer I have been using was "sticking " I know better and just haven't gotten around to getting a refractomoter

The salinity in my tank has apparently been 1.040 for quite a while

I could not figure out why the fish I have bought kept dying. Even a niger trigger ( bullet proof) died and for the life of me I could not figure out what was going on.

The fish I have had for a long time apparently acclimated to it but the new additions probably blew their kidneys out in the week or so it took them to die

Orange shoulder tang
Foxface
Royal gramma
Niger trigger
Banghai cardinals

I'm Sorry

Zoas, mushrooms, candycane , Duncan , Xenia GSP all seem happy and growing though

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't call you stupid.
Putting yourself down will only make it worse.
All of us have made plenty of mistakes in our time. Just keeping learning and moving.
Experience is key, but experience takes time.

Yep, just lower it slowly and you should be fine going forward. We all make mistakes, I'm glad you found out the cause now. :)

The fishy gods will forgive you. You did your best and wasnt aware of any issues.

This is a great reason for others to pay attention and maybe consider a refractometer, especially those with smaller tanks. Its the little things that can become big issues.

Thanks for sharing. You may have saved someone elses fish from a similar outcome.

That stinks, but learn from your mistake and move forward. Refractometer is absolutely the way to go. They sell in eBay for cheap.

I have a degree in marine biology and have worked in a public aquarium.

It's ok it's not going to hurt my ego to admit stupidness. I fished an old (slightly cracked ) refractomoter out of the garage and I'm at 44 ppt

I've been wondering why Coraline and halmedia have been growing like crazy

I'm going to take a gallon a day and replace with RO
View attachment 247576ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408667140.082176.jpg

Back
Top Bottom