Very odd occurrence..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
See if this makes sense. I have a main tank that is up and running now for 4+ years. Its a 100 gallon with a 40 gallon sump, 3 fish, 3 shrimp, lots of xenia, polpys of all sorts, 150 lbs of LR and 100 lbs of LS.
I also have running a 30 gallon QT with 1 tang in it with a seeded biowheel from my sump (3 months), softball size peice of LR, and a baggie (open) of LS. QT has been up and running since 10/25 and cycled it with a large shrimp from a local deli. Tang in the QT has been in there since 12/11 without incident.
So a few days ago as I normally do I tested for ammonia. (in the previous 3+ weeks with the fish in there) there has been no ammonia. I tested this past weekend and it showed .20. I paniced and did a water change from my main into the QT of like 9 gallons. For kicks after thinking, I tested my main water as well. Test showed .20 as well. So I went a step farther..I tested my RODI water. Same result. Chalked it up as bad test kit. Went to the fish store and exchanged it as they said the same.
Came home tonight and tested with a new test kit (of the same brand). SAME RESULT!! However the RODI water shows .60!! Can this be? Heres what weird. I had the same version of test kit left over from a year ago and was testing the QT during the cycle. It showed a spike and then fall and then the tang went in the tank. To me something doesnt seem right. Especially the fact that I have ammonia showing in the main with corals and shrimp and all is well. I have nothing that would produce ammonia?? Ammonia comes from decaying and no bacteria base...so whats the deal? Sorry so lengthy...

The test kit is made by Instant Ocean. My DI resin is new in one cartidge and 5-6 months old in the secondary one. The carbon and sediment are probably 4-5 months old.
Also I wouldnt think you would have ANY ammonia in your drinkign water. This would be a sign of decay wouldnt it?

I agree, you shouldn't have any ammonia (maybe a very little at the most) in your drinking water. I would take it to the LFS to doublecheck you water. If they come up with the same results, you may want to call your water company, ASAP!

Yeah when I tested my RODI water it was at least .6! Thats a lot for sure. I just dont see why I would have any ammonia as again ammonia means something is decaying - right? Well if I have more ammonia in my RO water than in my tank, something really doesnt add up.
Is it normal to have any ammonia in drinking water? Im going to change my carbon block and sediment filter this morning and see what happens then. Also will test my tasp water too and see what comes out.

Test your tap, on one of the ones that doesn't have your RO/DI unit on it. That might help you troubleshoot your RO/DI unit....I wouldn't think you should have much or any ammonia in your drinking water...but who knows...

OH WOW! I just tested my tap water and it came back above the chart (.8 is the highest)!! Maybe I need to contact my city on this. This doesnt seem right at all!

Im calling the city now. In the meantime how do I eliminate the ammonia in my main and QT tank? Im assuming this is the sourse of my ammonia problem in both being its at .2
Will carbon eliminate it? I wonder how long my main has been exposed to ammonia? How did my corals and inverts survive?

I believe RO/DI should take care of it.....But, in your case, it doesn't seem to be working properly. Maybe you need to change out your filters and membranes...What typ of RO/DI do you have?

All of the membranes have been recently replaced. Im taking my water to a LFS now for them to test.
Also if there is a problem with my RO unit or membranes and I need to buy water from a Walmart or such, do I buy distilled or spring water?

Distilled. I'm am not too sure what chems they put in Spring water (if you are talking about, bottled water, such as Dasani).

Try using distilled water if you have to till you get your RO/DI unit under control.

There's always been ammonia in my tap water. That's the reason I went to a DI.

I`ve always heard that water companies add ammonia for some reason to drinking water. Cant remember why.

It kills the bacteria from fecal matter and helps break everything down....I think. My fiance had to do a paper on the sewage plant. I'll double check with him.

But that still seems kind of high, for drinking water, out of the tap....right?

Back
Top Bottom