Very Strange Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought some Carib Sea Life Rock (The Purple Kind) about 3 months ago. For some reason It's starting to develop alot of brown spots on it. I also have Real Reef Rock and Some Marco rocks in the tank and they are full of Coralline. For some reason it's ONLY the Carib Sea Rock that is getting this brown algae. It's not Diatoms, It's not Dusty, It's not Slimy and not hairy..... I have no idea what this is and it's ONLY on this this type of rock. Should I ditch this rock and go with all Marco?

2nvt00w.jpg

35mirfp.jpg

24zylbc.jpg

It's another type of encrusting algae. I try to peel it off when I can. It can encrust over coral. My lfs told me it came into the hobby several years back. They claim that Naso Tangs will eat it. Not sure how big your tank is.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's another type of encrusting algae. I try to peel it off when I can. It can encrust over coral. My lfs told me it came into the hobby several years back. They claim that Naso Tangs will eat it. Not sure how big your tank is.

I have no idea what this algae is....

It looks like brown encrusting algae in the pics. I was assuming that is what you were talking about.

It can encrust on corals. It can be peeled off some, which is what I do. As it grows a lot of times it doesn't encrust so well and you can pull it off. I have it in both tanks and it hasn't hurt anything. I've also heard Nasos eat it.

Back
Top Bottom