Very thick Protein film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think i may have a bigger problem now, last night before bed i did see a slight increase in the protine film on the top of the tank If i had to describe it i would say its a Clear film, oily to the touch and from what i can smell has no oder. Tonight when i got home from school its has more then doubled in thickness.

i will tell you what i have done that may have cause this

1)i started doing PWC every 4 days to help reduce the Algae inside of the aquarium. i change 5g at a time with petcos 100% natural real ocean water.

2) have added another maxi-jet 600 to the aquarium pointed at the surface 24hrs a day

3)added a cup and a half of chemical filtration (Reef carbon) from my LFS

4)Set my Protein skimmer back up and runs all day every day

5)cut my feeding back to once every 3 days

6)completely cut out the lights except for when i feed the fish and then their only on for about 30 min

What can i try now? Any suggestions what could be doing this? i had no problem with this film when the tank was dirty and was not being taken care of. I thinks its something i must have done to cause this.

thanks
Michael

More surface ripple will get rid of it. I'm really surprised your skimmer is not removing it.

the maxi jet is braking the water surface real hard. is it possible my skimmer is not set up correctly? i have been pulling a little gunk out of collection cup.

Back
Top Bottom