very very weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mercury64

Aquarium Advice Regular
Every few days to a weeks time I start getting sn over load of fine bubbles in my tank
Such an over load that my tank appears to be cloudy but its not, just allot of find bubbles
I traced it down to an external pump I have down below thats pulling the water from my tank, pushingthrew my chiller, out of my chiller and into my uv then back into the tank
My first thoughts was there must be an air leak, time after time I've tripple checked all my connections and fond this
All is tight but when it does start to do this, I unplug the pump for a minute and then plug it back in and it works fine ,no more bubbles
I even checked the pump it self and can'r see anything wrong
Never seen this before

sounds like your sump is running low due to evaporation and it is sucking in air from the the surface of the water. The reason that it get better is you are breaking the lock of air drawing into the pump. Next time it does that look just above the intake of the pump with a flashlight and you will see the air getting drawing in.

HTH

sounds like your sump is running low due to evaporation and it is sucking in air from the the surface of the water
Agree, you'll see like a little tornado going from the water surface to the pump.

no its the pump, when I unplug bubbles disapear in seconds ,my skimmer is in my sump ,not really getting any bubbles from that, its coming from the pump, I forget the brand but its made to be submerged or external, I have it external under my tank, have a line comming out of tank to the pump, out the pump to the chiller, out the chiller to the u.v, then back into the tank, its a 650 gal per hr, that is the smallest I can use with the uv

Is it possible that somewhere along the line water is being splashed in the sump....which creates bubbles which are carried through the chiller...UV and then back into the tank?

How old is the pump? It sounds like it may be cavitation. If the impeller is worn, replacing it (the impeller) might solve the problem.

its about a year old, I used it for a while then I took it off as I had no need, then when I got the u.v it was pefect size so I used it, the pump is not in my sump ,its external
I'm thinking the same thing that something in the pump is going bad because when it starts doing that, I unplug it for a minute and plug back in and its fine

Back
Top Bottom