vho vs. pc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdl91881

Aquarium Advice Regular
i'm looking into getting some new lighting and can't decided between vho or pc. i'm not looking at getting any hard corals (maybe some polups and eventuallly an anenomee) i realy dont want to "make" a system i'd rather have it prefab. it is for a 55 gallon tank. what are your suggestions. and why?

There are several people in this forum that have used and are very pleased with the retro kits in VHO from www.hellolights.com You should give them a look. As for which type...I would probably go with VHO, simply cause I prefer the look of VHO, to pc, you also have a larger bulb choice. For vho, I would only use an Icecap ballast (I'm not knocking hellolights), I have used them in the past and they are the best VHO ballast on the market.

do you know where i get get any picks of the different lights set up on the tank

You might try looking through the photo album. I thought I had a link, but it is a comparison of MH with different supplamental bulbs and none with pc.

Geez...I hate to take an opposing opinion...especially when the other opinion comes from someone as experienced and committed as reefrunner, but I like the PC's better. Here are the reasons. They are, IMO, brighter. They are smaller than VHO for equal wattages. They have a longer replacement interval. They can be run with a variety of ballasts although the Icecap is probably superior to any others. So...they're wonderful...right? Well...they break very easily. The connections are more prone to corrosion than VHO. You have to be very sure they are properly seated in the bulb clips or they can fall out. Another thing I like about PC's is that they are available in a 50/50 where you have a separate tube for each color temp. The VHO 50/50's have mixed phosphors so you can get both kinds of light from the same tube. Anyway...pros and cons. I like the PC's and that has no scientific basis...just my preference. Check out www.ahsupply.com , www.hellolights.com , www.championlighting.com , and www.il-solutions.com for more options and prices on different kinds of lighting.
Logan J

Geez...I hate to take an opposing opinion...especially when the other opinion comes from someone as experienced and committed as reefrunner, but I like the PC's better.

Ok dude...your fired!!!
teufel11.gif
LOL, no prob logan, pc's are brighter, but I prefer vho. Nothing more than preference.

i been looking online and i think i'm going to go with the pcs.

i've been looking at the jbj and the helios and can't decide. any opinions? i'm not sure if the helios have a fan though and thats something that i want.

the other thing i'm not sure on is if i shound get 2 or 4 bulbs, with 2 i'd get 2 50/50s and with 4 i'd get 2 day 2 atinic.

thanks for the help guys!!!

Well with a 55 you could get 4 55W PC's and that would work nicly. two 55W bulbs on each side. One 10K and one actinc.

Are you looking for a prebuilt light rig?

Are you willing to do some wood work an dmake your own canopy?

www.ahsupply.com has some decent ballst and light kits that you can get and then install these in a caonpy you build yourself. They will even toss in plans for a DIY canopy if you ask for free.

I do suggest getting your bubls from hellolights.com

Lighting has to be the #1 debated topic on any saltwater forum so dont be discuraged when 5 people reply and each gives you a different answer.

My coral grow much better under VHO, I've tried both.

At minimum get the IceCap and then you can switch between NO, PC, and VHO at will. You can also mix & match i.e. PC daylights mixed with VHO Actinic.

i was looking at a pre built system, but the more i think about it the more i'm thinking of buildind my own system. i just not sure if i can get wood to match the stand and that is something that i really want. i was thinking about buying the canopy that matches the stand and justing mounting the system in that. any thought on that idea. also i was looking at the 2 X 96W pc system instead of four 55W because i could always add 2 more at a later time if i needed to. what do you think would be a better idea?

i was looking at the jbj retro fit kits. has anyone had any luck or experience with these?

well, sounds like everyone has their own opinion, from my research both are great, but the ice cap ballast ive heard is a must.

Bang Guy,
Do you have any idea why the corals grow better under the VHO? I have heard this before. Just curious if you had ideas why it worked better.
Logan J

mdl91881
I use the JBJ lights. And I've been very happy with them. But then again im only into the soft coral. :) I have 4, 65 watts on my 75 gal. I also have one NO light strip on it, only because I had it lol. But I am looking into the MH. But if i go this way MORE MONEY 8O But as far as PCs goes I like the jbj. But mine was the whole light no retro thing. I've had them for about a year now...

First of all hi :D this is my first post here.

I ordered my power compact retro fit kit from AH supply ( 2x55 watt for my 39 gallon tank) and I love it ----- but I did not like the bulbs that came from them. So with that said, I would order everything from AH except the bulbs I would order them from Hellolights.com. 8)

The reflectors from AH are the best I have ever seen.

The reflectors from AH are the best I have ever seen.

I am not sure about AHsupply (I've never dealt with them), but have been told the reflectors hellolights sells with there halide kits is identical to the spider reflectors. I think fishfreek does the same as Johnny and gets his ballast from AHsupply and his bulbs from hellolights, I'm sure he will correct me if I am wrong.

BTW, Johnny....
mdrbig.gif
Welcome to Aquarium Advice.com :mrgreen:

I have use JBJ in the past and for the money, I really like them. The Deluxe Formosas are really nice. They have two cooling fans on the end. I also prefer PC to VHO simply because of the brightness. But I also agree with reefrunner, VHO has the superior color. Just a opinion though. As far as helios go, I have never heard anything good about them, but I have never had personal experience. I would say if you dont want to retrofit, JBJ Deluxe Formosa is a nice unit that is a really good value. :mrgreen:

loganj said:
Bang Guy,
Do you have any idea why the corals grow better under the VHO? I have heard this before. Just curious if you had ideas why it worked better.
Logan J

No, I truly have no idea. I know I'm not the first person to notice this. Unfortunately the scientific studies that could solve this mystery are too expensive to perform by the average hobbiest.

FWIW - I've had the BEST coral growth under 250 watt Iwasaki Mercury Vapor bulbs. VHO is a distant second followed fairly closely by PC.

I have a hint (but no proof) that PCs downfall are the reflectors. The 'U' shape makes reflecting the light difficult and the VHO bulbs I use have internal reflectors. I believe this is VHOs advantage.

Beware claims from vendors.....

Back
Top Bottom