VHO with Reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattP725

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two 24" flor. strip lights. Will this be ok for a reef setup? I have two coral life 10000k bulbs (which I read was the best to get but I am not so sure anymore). This is just a temp solution until I can afford PCs... I am only going to have 30# of LR in my 55g for now anyways. This should be ok for a bit right?

then that is not vho, it would be normal output lights. That is not enough for a reef tank. sorry. For a reef tank, the low end of the scale, you want to have around 4 watts per gallon of lighting.

Ahh I thought VHO was just another name for florescent.... Is it enough for a bit? I mean nothing is going to die is it? I plan on making PC my next purchase when I get a full canopy. Don't forget that a 55 is only approx 19 inches deep and that is not accounting for the sandbed so I am probably only lighting 17 inches at most. Can I buy a month with that?

Matt
What else do you plan to have besides the LR? if it is just the rock you will be fine with that lighting as we keep the keys under normal output as well. I am happy to see you will be getting PC as that should really help bring out some more color.

What do you mean, fish wise? The LR is pretty much the only thinhg that I have in there besides my Trigger which believe it or not likes inverts. I had a small shrimp (forgot the name) that used to clean him off all the time. He was all up for it. Obviously I will still watch him closely and remove him if he starts trouble.

While we are on this topic does anyone have any recommendations as far as a 48" PC strip... I am looking for a good value. After I get established at this SW/Reef thing I will move to a bigger tank (a year or two) and the 55g will either be sold or be a large QT of some sort. That being said I was looking for somewhere in the pre $300 range but as close to $200 as possible. While I dont want absolute garbage, I don't think I require top of the line.

ask Darin at captive reefs about the coralife package, its what I got, 275 with shipping for 2x 65 watt 10,000k and 2 x65 watt 03 acintic, 4 blue led moonlights, timers, and legs for the lights. I really enjoy the lights and i have them on my 55 gallon.

They can sit on the glass top but not the plastic top. THe plastic top has to small of an opening for the light to get through. You need the Glass Versa Tops. There is also the standard 48" aqualight for $199. It is 4-65 watts.

Back
Top Bottom