VHO's in a couple days..what kinda problems will I have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering what kind of algae problems I might cause? Treatment ideas?

I have some cyano on the back wall of my tank. PO4 is hardly readable (maybe 0.25) chart starts at that and up to 5. NO4 at 5
I'm thinking I might have to point a PH at the back wall from the front of the tank but that might look kinda dumb. I really want to get rid of it! :twisted:

also I added a Flame angel and Common Perc last saturday and now my NO2 is at 0.1 is that normal to have a little.

Mainly looking for algae answers. I'll be getting a RO/DI unit in a bit but for now I just use RO water.

TIA

A phosphate sponge may help you with your phosphate levels If you can point a PH on the side to blow directly across the back that might help you with your water flow. When you get yoru new lights if its a significant increase in lighting from before I would start out with a short photo perod of say 7-8 hours and work your way up to your full photo period over the course of a few weeks. This will also help you gauge how much more algae and cyano will occur.

The ammonia shouldnt exist under normal operations. I suspect the increase is due to the tank being fairly new and the bio filter needing to catch up to the added load. Cut back on feedings some till the bio filter can catch up.

The new lights are 2x100. Right now I only have NO lights (2x30)
I'm getting another PH on Monday so I'll use that on and try to aim it across the back. Hope this will work. As for the PO4 sponge, I'll look into it. I'll try the PH first and hopefully the RO/DI unit will help when I get it.

I was reading last night and I might wait another month or so till I start the VHO's up cause my coralline algae is growing so well. I read that under NO lights or Triton it grows best. Right now it growing so well that I can see the progress everyday. I pick a certain point on the LR and everyday it closes up a little more with Coralline algae.

.25ppm of phosphate is definitely enough to feed cyano.

is the tank fairly young? getting a good amount of skimmate?

Back
Top Bottom