VHO's or T5s???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hodges

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon bow front tank that I am wanting to get going. Eventually I want to put a couple of clams in it and was wondering which lighting system to use VHO's or T5s??

Thanks

ckmn101 said:
I havve the Current Nova Extreme that is t-5's and love it. I think if you have enough they are very good.

Do you have any clams with that set up?? If so do they appear to be happy?

Thanks

There really isn't that much of a difference between the two. T5's are the latest thing, therefore have the most "buzz". Both are rated for tanks between 18-24" tall. T5 lamps last a little longer than VHO, but generally T5 set ups cost more initially to buy. So the long term cost difference levels out some.

As far as the clam goes it depends on which type you plan on getting. Some require medium lighting and some high. The high light species, like Crocea and Maxima, are recommended by some vendors and aquarist to only be kept under MH lighting for long term positive results and proper coloration. Although some aquarist have been successful w/ fluorescent lamps by placing the clam high in the aquarium and having a high WPG level. HTH

As someone who has had VHO`s for nine yrs now I think you should skip the clams if you have a two bulb set up like I do. As soon as I get off this injury and back to work then Im going to double my VHO lighting and hopefully be able to get one of those medium light clams. Good Luck

How much are you willing to spend?
I bought the Nova Extreme T5 4x56 watts, I love it! $200 from Dr Fosters and Smiths!

oo7cable said:
How much are you willing to spend?
I bought the Nova Extreme T5 4x56 watts, I love it! $200 from Dr Fosters and Smiths!

Ohh I see you have the 48inch. I need the 24inch and a total of 96 watts is about half the wattage I am looking for.

Mine is the 8 x 54w and sorry I have no experience with clams yet. Good advice from MT79, I would also stay away from high light clams.

Back
Top Bottom