Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

victor.m's and angeloupous59's 29g reef!

So today my roommate (angelopoulos59) and I have officially decided to start our joint reef aquarium . Here are the specs:

- 29g Aqueon All-Glass Aquarium (30"x12"x18")
- Coralife 130w CF Fixture (2x65w 50/50 with Highly Polished Reflector)
- AquaClear 70 HOB Filter (300gph)
- Koralia 3 Powerhead (850gph)
- Marineland 200w Heater
- 20lbs CaribSea Arag-Alive LS
- 18.6lbs Premium Fiji LR (more later)

And that is it! We set it up today, have mixed the salt, added the rock, and are beginning the cycle with two fresh shrimps I will be testing the water at my LFS for now since they are really nearby and provide the tests for free!

Finally, here are some pictures! Can't wait to get things really started

And it begins! Will keep the thread updated with happenings and new pictures as it progresses, thank you so much for reading

Old 11-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to panza
proably gonna wanna add a lot more LR i dont think thats enough for that sized tank...... but what are you planning on nadding to it?

damsel.
panza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by panza View Post
proably gonna wanna add a lot more LR i dont think thats enough for that sized tank...... but what are you planning on nadding to it?
The plan is indeed to add more LR in the future, probably go up to 25lbs of LR and go with base rock from there when the tank is established.

As for stocking, we'll be looking at softies such as hammers, star polyps, and zoas to begin with. I will be doing more research on other types of corals and fish before we go anywhere with that, but any suggestions/ideas would be great!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

as for fish go i really like flame angel fish there really neat. as for Corals well in my tank i like the yellow colony polysp. i also have been looking into the Green Star Polyps i still have to do a lil more research though
damsel.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
as for fish go i really like flame angel fish there really neat. as for Corals well in my tank i like the yellow colony polysp. i also have been looking into the Green Star Polyps i still have to do a lil more research though
Green Star Polyps are beautiful, I have some in my 14g BioCube and must say they are quite a sight Here are some pictures of mine:

They like plenty of flow so they sit under my nozzle, they have been doing quite well and in 4 days have already started to spread. They look beautiful, the pictures doesn't do its color justice!

I was actually looking at the flame angel, but I'd be concerned about his temperament towards the corals and other fish. Going to read up on the little guy, but thank you for the suggestion.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow that coral is nice. how much did it cost? and as far as i know my bro has a flame angel and seems to do fine with its coral and other fish.... did the clown host the green polysp?
damsel.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Looks good. You also have some sweet surface ripple!
Two pieces of advice:
Get a refractometer and a QT.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
wow that coral is nice. how much did it cost? and as far as i know my bro has a flame angel and seems to do fine with its coral and other fish.... did the clown host the green polysp?
The coral was $28 at my LFS, usually $35 but I'm good friends with the guys at the LFS and usually get discounts.

I will look into the flame angel for sure! What size tank does he have them in? What are his co-inhabitants?

The clown has shown no interest, so far, of hosting anything. I've been keeping an eye on him, he swims by the hammer and s. polyps quite often but no hosting yet. Will let you know if he does host, though.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

sweet i think ill get one of those. and my bro has a 55 gallon with a lot of other fish which may be why its not agressive. and roka out of curiosity whats a refractometer
damsel.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
Looks good. You also have some sweet surface ripple!
Two pieces of advice:
Get a refractometer and a QT.
Working on the refractometer sometimes in the near future. The QT I already have in order, I have a 10g tank that will sit under the main display and will act as a QT.

Quote:
sweet i think ill get one of those. and my bro has a 55 gallon with a lot of other fish which may be why its not agressive. and roka out of curiosity whats a refractometer
Refractometer is a highly accurate device for measuring specific gravity which does not depend on water temperature to read accurately, unlike swing-arm hydrometers, which can give inaccurate readings due to being weight-calibrated with water at certain temperatures.

Tags
29 gallon, angel, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com